With Dental Materials: Clinical Applications for Dental Assistants and Dental Hygienists, 3rd Edition, you will learn the most current methods of placing — or assisting in the placement — of dental materials, and how to instruct patients in their maintenance. Easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures show how to mix, use, and apply dental materials within the context of the patient’s course of treatment. The multidisciplinary author team enhances this edition with new chapters on preventive and desensitizing materials, tooth whitening, and preventive and corrective oral appliances, with new clinical photos throughout. An Evolve website provides new chapter quizzes for classroom and board exam preparation!
- Procedure boxes include step-by-step instructions for common tasks.
- Procedural icons indicate specific guidelines or precautions that need to be followed for each procedure.
- End-of-chapter review questions help you assess your retention of material, with answers provided in an appendix.
- End-of-chapter case-based discussions provide a real-life application of material covered in the chapter.
- Clinical tips and precautions emphasize important information, advice, and warnings on the use of materials.
- Key terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter, bolded within the chapter, and defined in the glossary.
- Objectives help you focus on the information to gain from each chapter.
- Introductions provide an overview of what will be discussed in each chapter.
- Summary tables and boxes make it easy to find and review key concepts and information.
- Full-color photos and illustrations show dental materials and demonstrate step-by-step procedures, including new clinical photos of bleaching and bonding.
- New Dental Ceramics chapter addresses the growth in esthetic dentistry by discussing porcelain crowns, inlays, and veneers and the process of selecting the proper shade.
- New Dental Amalgam chapter discusses the use of metal — still the most commonly used material in restorative and corrective dentistry.
- New Casting Alloys, Solders, and Wrought Metal Alloys chapter breaks down specific types of combination metals and the procedures in which they are used.
- New Dental Implants chapter covers several different types of implants as well as how to instruct patients on hygiene and home care of their implant(s).
- The Materials Handling section reflects the new Infection Control Environment (ICE) standards and all approved ADA methods for the disposal of surplus materials.
- A companion Evolve website includes exercises to help you identify images and master procedures, plus competency skill sheets to assess your understanding.
1. Introduction to Dental Materials
2. Oral Environment and Patient Considerations
3. Physical Properties of Dental Materials
4. General Handling and Safety
5. Principles of Bonding
6. Composites, Glass Ionomers, and Compomers
7. NEW! Preventive and Desensitizing Materials
8. NEW! Teeth Whitening Materials and Procedures
9. Dental Ceramics
10. Dental Amalgam
11. Casting Metals, Solders, and Wrought Metal Alloys
12. Dental Implants
13. Abrasion, Finishing, and Polishing
14. Dental Cement
15. Impression Materials
16. Gypsum Products
17. Polymers for Prosthetic Dentistry
18. Provisional Restorations
19. NEW! Preventive and Corrective Oral Appliances
Appendix: Answers to Review Questions