Feline Behavioral Health and Welfare, 1st Edition
Help your students learn to manage the physical and psychological well-being of your feline patients with Feline Behavioral Medicine: Prevention and Treatment. From house soiling problems to aggression, this all-new reference offers detailed guidance on assessing, treating, and preventing the full spectrum of feline behavioral challenges. Material is organized by both topic and life stage for quick access to urgent information. The book’s incorporation of patient education materials, instructive images, and the latest AAFP guidelines, makes it an invaluable addition to any vet classroom.
- UNIQUE! Focus on the prevention of behavior problems is found throughout the majority of the book to show clinicians how to incorporate behavioral considerations into general practice.
- Comprehensive, holistic care fusing the physical and psychological well-being of feline patients serves as a foundation for all content.
- International team of expert contributors provides in-depth, authoritative guidance using the most up-to-date information available.
- Updated information on preventive advice and treatment recommendations follows the guidelines set forth by the AAFP.
- Client handouts and behavior questionnaires in the book help vets clearly communicate with clients about their cat’s behavior.
PART 1: Introduction 1. Why prevention and treatment of undesirable behavior matters 2. Approaches to feline behavior welfare
PART 2: Normal feline behavior 3. Feline communication 4. Normal social behavior 5. Feline learning
PART 3: Prevention of behavior problems: The cat at home 6. Pet selection 7. Providing appropriate healthcare 8. Providing appropriate behavioral care
PART 4: Prevention of behavior problems: The cat at the practice 9. The Cat in the Veterinary Practice 10. The Cat in the Consulting Room 11. Housing cats in the veterinary practice
PART 5: Interplay between behavior and disease 12. Stress as a risk factor for disease 13. Feline obesity 14. Acute Pain and Behavior 15. Chronic Pain and Behavior 16. Feline orofacial pain syndrome
PART 6: Management and treatment of undesirable behaviors 17. Understanding the Cat’s Emotion 18. Use of Pheromones in Feline Practice 19. Tools of the trade: Psychopharmacology and Nutrition
PART 7: Approaching problem behavior within the veterinary practice 20. Providing Feline-Friendly Consultations 21. Handling the painful cat 22. Handling the challenging cat
PART 8: Approaching problem behavior at home 23. Undesirable but normal behavior 24. House soiling problems 25. Behavior Problems of the Senior Cat 26. Inter-cat Conflict 27. Human-Directed Aggression in Cats
Ilona Rodan, DVM, DABVP (Feline Practice) and Sarah Heath, BVSc, DipECAWBM(BM), CCAB, MRCVS, European Veterinary Specialist in Behavioural Medicine (Companion Animals), Chester, UK