Strategies, Techniques, and Approaches to Critical Thinking - Elsevier eBook on Intel Education Study,5th Edition
Designed to help beginning students develop critical thinking skills for nursing practice, this workbook presents over 100 realistic case studies and scenarios like those commonly encountered in clinical practice. Using a straightforward approach and a variety of learning methods, it first establishes a fundamental knowledge base and then builds on that base step by step to develop your clinical reasoning skills. Working through the application, analysis, and synthesis of knowledge in clinical situations, you will also learn how to integrate the nursing process as it applies to critical thinking. Timely issues such as delegation, prioritization, documentation/charting, and patient safety are also covered.
- Step-by-step approach to developing critical thinking, clinical decision-making, and clinical reasoning, skills walks you through an instructor-led application of the author’s research-based critical thinking model.
- Over 100 true-to-life progressive cases build as complications occur and encourage critical thinking skills in the clinical setting.
- Emphasis on prioritization and delegation helps you master these essential skills emphasized on the NCLEX® Examination.
- Integrated NCLEX® Examination review reinforces application of knowledge to clinical situations and prepares you for the state boards.
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the most current clinical practice, including nationally accepted clinical treatment guidelines.
- NEW! Enhanced organization features reorganized and renumbered clinical situations for easier navigation and improved clarity.
- NEW! Evaluation section (Section 7), now provided for students, helps reinforce skills developed throughout the book.
- NEW! In-text cues to the author’s critical thinking model provide references to the research-based critical thinking model inside the front cover.
- NEW! Icons have been streamlined for greater consistency, clarity, and intuitiveness.
Section 1. Knowledge Application
Section 2. Priority-Setting and Decision-Making
Section 3. Critical Thinking Model Application
Section 4. Management and Leadership
Section 5. NCLEX Examination Preparation
Section 6. Professional Nursing Practice
Section 7. Evaluation NEW for students!
Appendix A. List of Abbreviations
Appendix B. List of Words and Phrases Commonly Used in the Book and Their Intended Meanings
Sandra Luz Martinez de Castillo, EdD, RN, Director of the Nursing Program, Los Medanos College, Pittsburg, California