Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Featuring a full-color review of dental structures, Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy, 4th Edition provides a complete look at the development, cellular makeup, and morphology of the teeth and associated structures. A clear, reader-friendly writing style makes it easy to understand both basic science and clinical applications, putting the material into the context of everyday dental practice. New to this edition are updates on caries risk, safe levels of fluoride use, and prevention of periodontal disease. Expert authors Margaret Fehrenbach and Tracy Popowics provide an essential background in oral biology for dental hygiene and dental assisting students, including excellent preparation for board exams.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all the content needed for an introduction to the developmental, histological, and anatomical foundations of oral health.
- High-quality anatomical illustrations and full-color clinical and microscopic photographs enhance your understanding.
- An approachable writing style makes it easy to grasp and learn to apply the material.
- A logical organization separates the book into four units for easier understanding: (1) an introduction to dental structures, (2) dental embryology, (3) dental histology, and (4) dental anatomy.
- Summary tables and boxes provide quick, easy-to-read summaries of concepts and procedures and serve as useful review and study tools.
- Clinical Considerations boxes relate abstract-seeming biological concepts to everyday clinical practice.
- Learning outcomes at the beginning of each chapter clearly identify the information you are expected to absorb.
- Key terms open each chapter, accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, and are highlighted within the text
- A glossary provides a quick and handy way to look up terminology.
- A bibliography lists resource citations for further research and study.
- Student resources on the companion Evolve website enhance learning with practice quizzes including rationales and page-number references, case studies, a histology matching game, review/assessment questions, tooth identification exercises, and WebLinks to related sites.
- Updated and expanded evidence-based coverage includes topics such as caries risk, fetal alcohol syndrome, periodontal disease, thyroid hormones and disease, stem cells and dental pulp, and developmental defects associated with specific diseases and conditions.
- NEW color illustrations and photomicrographs add detail and enhance comprehension.
- NEW practice exercises on the companion Evolve website include quizzes containing 200 self-test questions with instant feedback to help you prepare for examinations.
Unit I: Review of Dental Structures 1. Face and Neck Regions 2. Oral Cavity and Pharynx Unit II: Dental Embryology 3. Overview of Prenatal Development 4. Development of the Face and Neck 5. Development of Orofacial Structures 6. Tooth Development and Eruption Unit III: Dental Histology 7. Overview of the Cell 8. Basic Tissues 9. Oral Mucosa 10. Gingival and Dentogingival Junctional Tissues 11. Head and Neck Structures 12. Enamel 13. Dentin and Pulp 14. Periodontium: Cementum, Alveolar Bone, Periodontal Ligament Unit IV: Dental Anatomy 15. Overview of the Dentitions 16. Permanent Anterior Teeth 17. Permanent Posterior Teeth 18. Primary Dentition 19. Temporomandibular Joint 20. Occlusion Bibliography Glossary Appendix A: Anatomical Position Appendix B: Units of Measure Appendix C: Tooth Measurements Appendix D: Tooth Development Index
Tracy Popowics and Margaret J. Fehrenbach, RDH, MS, Dental Hygiene Educational Consultant, Oral Biology Technical Writer, Renton WA
Adjunct Faculty, Seattle Central College, Seattle, WA