Shah's Public Health and Preventive Health Care in Canada Elsevier eBook on Vitalsource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Work more effectively with a complete understanding of Canadian public health! Shah’s Public Health and Preventive Health Care in Canada, Sixth Edition examines health care policy in Canada and the issues and trends faced by today’s health care professionals. It puts health promotion and prevention models into a historical perspective, with discussions including the evolution of national health insurance, determinants of health and disease, and approaches to achieving health for all. Written by educators Bonnie Fournier and Fareen Karachiwalla, and based on the work of noted author Dr. Chandrakant Shah, this text provides an excellent foundation in Canadian public health for nurses and other health care professionals.
- Quintessentially Canadian content is designed especially for Canadian nursing and health care professionals.
- Comprehensive coverage includes in-depth, current information on public health and preventive care topics.
- End-of-chapter summaries reinforce your understanding of key health care concepts.
- End-of-chapter references provide recommendations for further reading and research.
- NEW! Full-colour design enhances illustrations and improves readability to better illustrate complex concepts.
- NEW! Indigenous Health chapter.
- NEW! Groups Experiencing Health Inequities chapter.
- NEW! Pan-Canadian focus uses a community health perspective, discussing the social determinants of health, health equity, and health promotion in each chapter.
- NEW! Learning tools include chapter outlines and learning objectives, key terms, practical exercises, critical thinking questions, and summary boxes such as Case Study, Research Perspective, In the News, Interprofessional Practice, Clinical Example, Real World Example, and Evidence-Informed Practice, plus key websites.
- NEW! Evolve companion website.
- NEW! Emerging infectious diseases (EID) and COVID-19 discussion and exercises on Evolve, offer insight into current and developing challenges facing public health.
PART 1: ACHIEVING HEALTH FOR ALL
1. Foundational Concepts in Population and Public Health
2. Methods of Investigation of Population Health Issues
3. Approaches to Achieving Health for All
PART 2: THE HEALTH OF CANADIANS
4. Health Indicators and the Health Status of Canadians
5. Determinants of Health and Disease
6. Groups Experiencing Health Inequities
7. Indigenous Health
8. Noncommunicable Diseases
9. Mental Health and Substance Use
10. Communicable Disease
11. Environmental Health
12. Occupational Health and Disease
PART 3: THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
13. The Evolution of National Health Insurance
14. Federal and Provincial Health Organizations
15. Funding, Expenditures, and Resources
16. Delivery of Health Care Services
17. Human Resources for Health
18. Looking Forward
Dr.Bonnie Fournier, RN, MSc, PhD, Associate Professor
School of Nursing
Thompson Rivers University
Kamloops, British Columbia and Dr. Fareen Karachiwalla, MD MPH CCFP FRCPC, Associate Medical Officer of Health
York Region Public Health
Adjunct Assistant Professor
School of Medicine
Clinical Public Health Division
Dalla Lana School of Public Health
University of Toronto