Plunkett's Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Written in a clear, engaging style, Plunkett’s Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant, 5th Edition provides instruction for all the essential office procedures required by today's medical office administrative assistants in Canada — whether they work in a medical office, a complementary care office, or in a hospital setting. It contains the most current information available in the field, and specifically reflects health care in Canada. Chapters address the diverse skills and knowledge required by a medical office administrative assistant, such as good communication, privacy, customer service, stress management, medical transcription, filing, appointment booking, physical and virtual meetings, billing (ICD-10-CA), and more. This new edition covers Electronic Medical Records (EMR), and features an eye-catching new four colour design and a new Evolve companion site with invaluable instructor and student resources.
- Written in an accessible, clear, engaging, and easy to understand style.
- Key terms, learning objectives, end-of-chapter assignments, and discussion questions throughout.
- Examples and exercises delve deeper into topic areas.
- Extensive offering of working papers and templates allow for extra practice on tasks and scenarios encountered in the medical office environment.
- Quintessentially Canadian content and viewpoint.
- Continuation of the beloved Dr. Plunkett theme.
- NEW! Four Colour design with new art programme better illustrates current concepts and improves readability and visual appeal.
- UPDATED! Expanded coverage of healthcare plans across Canada.
- NEW! Coverage of Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
- NEW! Evolve site including chapter review questions, review questions, videos, forms and templates, audio glossary, and more!
- UPDATED! Reflects contemporary standards, technological tools, and terminology used in day-to-day modern health care practice.
- NEW! New and revised learning tools – including: learning objectives, key terms, assignment boxes, tips, critical thinking boxes, and Did You Know boxes.
- UPDATED! Reflects current privacy legislation (PIPEDA) and changes to provincial and territorial Freedom of Information acts.
- NEW! Chapter order and comprehensive Table of Contents.
Part 1: Introduction to the Health Care Environment
1. Your Future as a Medical Administrative Assistant 2. Health Associations and the Law
Part 2: Tools and Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant
3. Reception, Booking Appointments and Clinical Responsibilities 4. Patient Records Management 5. The Telephone and eCommunication Tools 6. Office Correspondence: Mail, Memos, Letters, and Envelopes 7. Health Insurance Plans 8. Financial Records 9. Managing Office Supplies 10. The Procedures Manual 11. Meeting Organization 12. Hospital Records, Requisitions, and Reports
Part 3: Career Development
13. Your Job Search
Appendices: ? Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in the Health Care Field ? Appendix B: Laboratory Medicine ? Appendix C: Pharmacology ? Appendix D: Reference Resources
Heather D Ramsay, Bachelor of Arts (Psychology/Sociology), University of Prince Edward Island Master of Education (Distance Education), Athabasca University, Learning Manager, Holland College and Marie Rutherford, Bachelor of Arts-General Studies Nursing Diploma (SGH/Centennial College), Georgian College