Leifer's Introduction to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing in Canada Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Gain a solid foundation in Canadian maternity and pediatric nursing! Written in a clear, concise, friendly style, Leifer’s Intro to Maternity & Pediatric Nursing in Canada, is the first Canadian edition of the best-selling Leifer textbook. Fully revised by author, Lisa Keenan-Lindsay, RN, MN, PNC(C), it includes Canadian statistics, terminology, references, guidelines, resources, Canadian nursing best practices, assessments, and more! It’s organized by developmental stages and includes discussions of pediatric disorders by body system from simple-to-complex and health-to-illness. With a rich focus on family health, this text contains exam-style review questions, case studies, and numerous other pedagogical features to give you the tools you need to successfully care for patients within the Canadian social and institutional context.
- Logical organization of content by simple-to-complex and health-to-illness, makes it easy for you to locate and access information.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes focus on preventive strategies for achieving prenatal wellness, health during pregnancy, postpartum health, newborn health, and pediatric illness prevention and wellness---including Canadian immunization schedules for all ages.
- Unfolding Case Studies with open-ended critical thinking questions assess application of content to practice as you follow one family through conception and the birth process.
- Nursing Care Plans provide expected outcomes, interventions, and rationales for nursing interventions.
- Comprehensive coverage of over 35 skills, outlined in step-by-step format cover a wide range of maternal and pediatric nursing interventions.
- Focus on health promotion and illness prevention, covers women’s health issues, and growth and development of child and parent.
- Cultural considerations applied as they relate to maternal/infant, and pediatric care in detailed tables.
- Safety Alerts emphasize protecting patients, family, health care providers, and the public from accidents, medication errors, and the spread of disease.
- Nursing Tips throughout text provide you with pertinent information applicable in the clinical setting.
- NEW! Fully revised content for a Canadian audience includes statistics, terminology, references and resources, 2019 Canada’s Food Guide, guidelines from the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologist’s of Canada (SOGC), the Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS), and the Public Health Agency of Canada, Canadian nursing best practice guidelines, assessments, and more!
- NEW! Strong focus on Health Promotion includes application of the social determinants of health, greater emphasis on community nursing, primary health care, and family-centred care approach.
- NEW! High-Risk Newborn chapter combines preterm/post-term newborn with the child born with a congenital condition.
- NEW! Chapter covers caring for the child with a chronic illness or in palliative care.
- UNIQUE! Baby-Friendly Initiatives incorporated throughout the text.
- UNIQUE! Canadian cultural considerations include content related to Indigenous Peoples threaded throughout all applicable chapters.
- NEW! Updated labour information based on Canadian guidelines and the five P’s of labour.
- NEW! Complete inclusion of Canadian medications, dosages, and metric measurements.
- NEW! Enhanced and updated art programme reflect Canada’s cultural diversity in the health care setting.
- NEW! Coverage of Canadian ethical and legal standards, and provincial and territorial legislation.
- NEW! Critical Thinking questions applies concepts learned in the chapter to practical situations.
- NEW! UPDATED! Examination review questions prepare you for certification exams.
- NEW! Expanded coverage on safety includes maternity and pediatric care in the home and community.
UNIT ONE: An Overview of Maternity and Pediatric Nursing 1. Overview of Perinatal and Pediatric Nursing in Canada
UNIT TWO: Maternal-Newborn Nursing and Women’s Health 2. The Nurse’s Role in Women’s Health Care 3. Fetal Development 4. Prenatal Care and Adaptations to Pregnancy 5. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Pregnancy 6. Nursing Care of the Mother and Infant During Labour and Birth 7. Pain Management During Labour and Birth 8. Nursing Care of Women with Complications During Labour and Birth 9. Nursing Care of The Woman and Family After Birth 10. Nursing Care of Women with Complications After Birth 11. The Term Newborn 12. High-Risk Newborns
UNIT THREE: The Growing Child and Family 13. An Overview of Growth, Development, and Nutrition 14. The Infant 15. The Toddler 16. The Preschool Child 17. The School-Age Child 18. The Adolescent
UNIT FOUR: Adapting Care to the Pediatric Patient 19. The Child’s Experience of Hospitalization 20. Health Care Adaptations for the Child and Family 21. Complementary and Alternative Health Modalities in Pediatric Nursing 22. Chronic Conditions and Palliative Care: Caring for the Child and Family
UNIT FIVE: The Child Needing Nursing Care 23. The Child with an Eye, Ear, or Neurological Condition 24. The Child with a Musculoskeletal Condition 25. The Child with a Respiratory Condition 26. The Child with a Cardiovascular Condition 27. The Child with a Condition of the Blood, Blood-Forming Organs or Lymphatic System 28. The Child with a Gastrointestinal Condition 29. The Child with a Genitourinary Condition 30. The Child with a Skin Condition 31. The Child with a Metabolic Condition 32. Childhood Communicable Diseases 33. The Child with an Emotional or Behavioural Condition
APPENDIXES Appendix A: Normal Pediatric Vital Signs and Temperature Equivalents for Infants and Children Appendix B: Pediatric Laboratory Values Reference Appendix C: Canada’s Food Guide - 2019 Appendix D: Pediatric Growth Charts
Lisa Keenan-Lindsay, RN, MN, PNC(C), Professor School of Nursing Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology Toronto, Ontario and Gloria Leifer, MA, RN, CNE, Professor, Obstetric and Pediatric Nursing, Riverside City College, Riverside, California