Physical Examination and Health Assessment - Canadian,2nd Edition
With an easy-to-read approach and unmatched learning support, Physical Examination & Health Assessment, Second Edition offers a clear, logical, and holistic approach to physical exam across the lifespan. Detailed illustrations, summary checklists, and new learning resources ensure that you learn all the skills you need to know. This gold standard in physical exam reflects what is going on in nursing today with coverage of emerging trends and new evidence-based content. It's easy to see why this text is, far and away, #1 in this market!
- Reading Level: 12.0
- A clear, conversational writing style makes learning easier.
- A two-column format distinguishes normal findings from abnormal findings, and uses color, step-by-step photos to clarify examination techniques and expected findings.
- Over 1,100 full-colour illustrations present anatomy and physiology, examination techniques, and abnormal findings.
- Developmental considerations help in caring for patients across the lifespan with age-specific assessment techniques for infants, children, adolescents, pregnant women, and older adults.
- Abnormal findings tables include over 300 pathology photos to help in recognizing, sorting, and describing abnormalities.
- New Special Considerations for Advanced Assessment sections (selected chapters) outline advanced examination techniques and considerations
- New Critical Findings boxes (selected chapters) identify noteworthy findings during an examination and outline associated nursing actions
- Promoting Health boxes enable patient teaching and health promotion while performing the health assessment.
- An emphasis on cultural competencies reflects today’s care considerations for an increasingly diverse patient population.
- Documentation examples show how to record assessment findings in the patient’s chart, using the SOAP format.
- Summary checklists provide a quick review of examination steps.
- A companion Evolve website helps you review key content offering case studies with critical thinking questions, printable health promotion handouts, a head-to-toe examination video, heart and lung sounds, audio chapter summaries, and more.
- NEW evidence-informed guidelines ensure a focus on conducting the most effective, qualitative exams.
- NEW Health Promotion in the Context of Health Assessment chapter explains the concepts of health promotion (including levels of prevention, social determinants of health, and the health care provider’s role in health promotion efforts)
- NEW Substance Use and Health Assessment chapter addresses this increasingly critical aspect of holistic patient assessments.
- 100 new photos of step-by-step examination techniques include all-new exam panoramas for key systems.
- 100 new abnormal findings photos provide instant visual cues for findings that are unexpected or that require referral for follow-up care.
UNIT 1: ASSESSMENT OF THE WHOLE PERSON
Chapter 1: Critical Thinking and Evidence-Informed Assessment
Chapter 2: Health Promotion in the Context of Health Assessment NEW!
Chapter 3: Cultural Competence: Cultural Care
Chapter 4: The Interview
Chapter 5: The Complete Health History
Chapter 6: Mental Health Assessment
Chapter 7: Substance Use in the Context of Health Assessment NEW!
Chapter 8: Interpersonal Violence Assessment
UNIT 2: APPROACH TO THE CLINICAL SETTING
Chapter 9: Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting
Chapter 10: General Survey, Measurement, and Vital Signs
Chapter 11: Pain Assessment
Chapter 12: Nutritional Assessment and Nursing Practice
UNIT 3: PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
Chapter 13: Skin, Hair, and Nails
Chapter 14: Head and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatic System
Chapter 15: Eyes
Chapter 16: Ears
Chapter 17: Nose, Mouth, and Throat
Chapter 18: Breasts and Regional Lymphatic System
Chapter 19: Thorax and Lungs
Chapter 20: Heart and Neck Vessels
Chapter 21: Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
Chapter 22: Abdomen
Chapter 23: Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
Chapter 24: Musculoskeletal System
Chapter 25: Neurological System
Chapter 26: Male Genitourinary System
Chapter 27: Female Genitourinary System
UNIT 4: INTEGRATION OF THE HEALTH ASSESSMENT
Chapter 28: The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
Chapter 29: Bedside Assessment of the Hospitalized Patient
Chapter 30: Pregnancy
Chapter 31: Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APN, CNP, Professor, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Nurse Practitioner, Community Health Care Clinic, Bloomington, Illinois, Annette J. Browne, PhD, RN, Professor and Distinguished University Scholar, School of Nursing, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, June MacDonald-Jenkins, RN, BScN, MSc, Dean of Health, Human & Justice Studies, Loyalist College, Belleville, ON and Marian Luctkar-Flude, RN, PhD, Assistant Professor, Queen's University School of Nursing, Kingston, ON.