Medical-Surgical Nursing in Canada - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Completely revised and updated, Medical-Surgical Nursing in Canada: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, 3rd Edition explores patient care in various clinical settings and focuses on key topics such as prioritization, clinical decision-making, evidence-informed practice, and patient safety. A variety of boxes and tables, in addition to an accessible writing style, make it easy to comprehend both essential information and the most complex concepts. Best of all, a complete collection of interactive learning and study tools help you learn more effectively and offer valuable, real-world preparation for clinical practice.
- UNIQUE! Key nursing management content using a "levels of care" approach shows you how nursing care varies for different levels of health and illness.
- More than 50 comprehensive nursing care plans with defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems, help you understand how information in the book applies to real-life situations.
- Examination Review Questions at the end of each chapter reinforce key content, preparing you for the licensure examination with MCQ format questions.
- Convenient tables offer quick access to vital data on drug therapy, nutritional therapy, emergency management, health history, collaborative care, nursing assessment, common assessment abnormalities, and more.
- Helpful boxes throughout the text highlight important information on key topics such as complementary and alternative therapies, nursing research, ethics, determinants of health, genetics, and evidence-informed practice.
- Over 1,400 full-color illustrations clearly demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
- Safety Alerts highlight patient safety issues.
- Pathophysiology Map flow charts make it easier to visualize and understand changes occurring in major diseases.
- New Cultural Competence and Health Equity chapter introduces the important role that culture plays in nursing care and outlines the determinants of health equity/inequity in Canada.
- New Sleep Disorders chapter expands your knowledge on this key topic that impacts multiple disorders and body systems.
- Focused Assessment boxes provide you with a realistic "assessment on the run" approach, offering brief checklists for evaluating the status of previously identified health problems and monitoring for signs of new problems.
- Assessment Case Studies for all assessment chapters help you with integrating and prioritizing assessment findings, empowering you to apply key concepts to real-world practice.
Section One – Concepts in Nursing Practice
- Nursing Practice in Canada
- Health Equity and Cultural Competence
- Health History and Physical Examination
- Client and Caregiver Teaching
- Chronic Illness
- Community-based Nursing and Home Care
- Older Adults
- Stress and Stress Management
- NEW! Sleep and Sleep Disorders
- Substance Abuse and Addictive Behaviors
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- End-of-Life Care
- Inflammation and Wound Healing
- Transplantation and Altered Immune Responses
- Infection and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection
- Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances
- Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
- Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
- Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
- Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
- Nursing Management: Integumentary Problems
- Nursing Management: Burns
- Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
- Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Problems
- Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Nursing Assessment: Hematologic System
- Nursing Management: Hematologic Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
- Nursing Management: Hypertension
- Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Heart Failure and Cardiomyopathy
- Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
- Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Valvular Heart Diseases
- Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
- Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
- Nursing Management: Nutritional Problems
- Nursing Management: Obesity
- Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Problems
- Nursing Management: Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas Problems
Section Two – Pathophysiologic Mechanisms of Disease
Section Three – Perioperative Care
Section Four – Problems Related to Altered Sensory Input
Section Five – Problems of Oxygenation: Ventilation
Section Six – Problems of Oxygenation: Transport
Section Seven – Problems of Oxygenation: Perfusion
Section Eight – Problems of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
Section Nine – Problems of Urinary Function
45. Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
46. Nursing Management: Renal and Urologic Problems
47. Nursing Management: Acute Renal Failure and Chronic Kidney Disease
Section Ten – Problems Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
- Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
- Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
- Nursing Management: Endocrine Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
- Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
- Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
- Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Problems
- Nursing Management: Stroke
- Nursing Management: Chronic Neurologic Problems
- Nursing Management: Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Problems
- Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
- Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Problems
- Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
- Nursing Management: Critical Care
- Nursing Management: Shock, Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, and Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Nursing Management: Emergency, Terrorism, and Disaster Nursing
Section Eleven – Problems Related to Movement and Coordination
Section Twelve – Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
Appendix A Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
Appendix B Nursing Diagnoses
Appendix C Laboratory Reference Intervals
Sharon L. Lewis, RN, PhD, FAAN, Research Professor, Castella Distinguished Professor, School of Nursing, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, Linda Bucher, RN, PhD, CEN, CNE, Professor, School of Nursing, University of Delaware, Newark, DE; Staff Nurse, Emergency Department, Virtua Memorial Hospital, Mt. Holly, NJ, Margaret M. Heitkemper, RN, PhD, FAAN, Professor and Chairperson, Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, Elizabeth Sterling Soule Endowed Chair in Nursing, School of Nursing; Adjunct Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, Ian Camera, RN, MSN, ND, Ian M. Camera, Professor, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA, Maureen A. Barry, RN,MScN, Associate Professor, Teaching Stream, Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON., Donna Goodridge, RN, PhD, CHPNC(c), Professor, College of Nursing
University of Saskatchewan and Sandra Goldsworthy, RN, MSc, PhD, CNCC(C), CMSN(C), Associate Dean Teaching-Learning and Technology; Associate Professor Research Professorship in Simulation Faculty of Nursing University of Calgary, Calgary, AB.