Reinforce your understanding of essential examination and assessment skills and with this lab manual companion to Carolyn Jarvis’ Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 2nd Canadian Edition. A variety of checklists, activities, and exercises challenge you to apply your knowledge and provide hands-on practice.
Corresponding to the Jarvis textbook, this lab manual may be used as:
- Clinical objectives for each chapter help students study more effectively.Reading assignments help students review relevant textbook content with convenient chapter and page references.
- A variety of review questions and study activities test students’ understanding of key points and procedures:
- Short answer
- Anatomy labelling exercises
- A comprehensive glossary provides fast, easy access to key terms and definitions from the textbook.
- A clinical resource in the laboratory setting
- Documentation forms familiarize students with physical examination forms similar to those used in laboratory or clinical settings. Students can complete the documentation sheet and assessment form and submit their work to you for grading.
- Narrative summary forms help students learn to chart narrative accounts of the history and physical examination findings.
- New assessment tools and updated illustrations test students’ retention and understanding.
- Updated evidence-informed practice guidelines throughout the manual reflect the most current research and assessment practices.
Unit 1: Assessment of the Whole Person
1. Critical Thinking and Evidence-Informed Assessment
2. NEW! Health Promotion in the Context of Health Assessment
3. Cultural and Social Considerations in Health Assessment
4. The Interview
5. The Complete Health History
6. Mental Health Assessment
7. NEW! Substance Use and Health Assessment
8. Interpersonal Violence Assessment
Unit 2: Approach to the Clinical Setting
9. Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting
10. General Survey, Measurements, and Vital Signs
11. Pain Assessment
12. Nutritional Assessment and Nursing Practice
Unit 3: Physical Examination
13. Skin, Hair, and Nails
14. Head, Face, and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatic System
17. Nose, Mouth, and Throat
18. Breasts and Regional Lymphatic System
19. Thorax and Lungs
20. Heart and Neck Vessels
21. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22. The Abdomen
23. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
24. Musculoskeletal System
25. Neurological System
26. Male Genitourinary System
27. Female Genitourinary System
Unit 4: Integration of the Health Assessment
28. The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
29. Bedside Assessment of the Hospitalized Adult
31. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult