Plunkett's Procedures for the Medical Administrative Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Written in a clear, engaging style, this new edition contains the most current information available in the field, and specifically reflects health care in Canada. Chapters address the diverse skills and knowledge required by a medical administrative assistant, such as good communication, stress management, medical transcription, filing, and appointment booking.
- Key Terms with definitions highlight important terminology in the field.
- Learning Objectives and boxed inserts address important issues for students to consider.
- End-of-chapter assignments simulate real-life tasks in the medical office setting.
- Discussion questions address important issues in the office setting and how best to deal with them.
- Enhanced coverage of health benefits, with updated information on provincial and territorial health plans across Canada.
- An accompanying CD-ROM, which includes Working Papers and templates for in-text assignments, as well as new interactive exercises for extra practice on tasks and scenarios encountered in the medical office environment.
- Additional coverage of important topics such as patient safety and confidentiality, prioritizing tasks, limits to the role of office administrator, appropriate communication, medical ethics and legal issues, and the need to be able to handle both manual and computerized methods.
- A full chapter devoted to career planning and the job search.
- Four appendices, addressing common abbreviations used in the health care field, common laboratory tests and turnaround times, commonly prescribed drugs, and a list of important reference resources.
- Your Future as a Medical Administrative Assistant
- Reception, Booking Appointments and Clinical Responsibilities
- Patient Records Management
- The Telephone
- Office Correspondence: Mail, Memos, Letters, and Envelopes
- Health Insurance Plans
- Financial Records
- Managing Office Supplies
- Procedures Manual
- Meeting Organization
- Hospital Records, Requisitions, and Reports
- Hippocrates and Health Associations
- Doctors and the Law
- Your Job Search
- Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in the Health Care Field
- Appendix B: Laboratory Medicine
- Appendix C: Pharmacology
- Appendix D: Reference Resources
Marie Rutherford, Bachelor of Arts-General Studies
Nursing Diploma (SGH/Centennial College), Georgian College