Health and Health Care Delivery in Canada - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Prepare students for careers in health care with this introduction to the Canadian health care system! Health and Health Care Delivery in Canada, 2nd Edition makes it easy to understand the nation’s approach to health, wellness, and illness. Set entirely within a Canadian context, this text includes coverage of individual and population health, the role of federal agencies and provincial governments, health care funding, and current issues and future trends in health care. The only text of its kind, this book is ideal for use in any Canadian health care programs.
- Clear, easy-to-understand approach to health care in Canada begins with an overview of health, wellness, and illness and proceeds through the fundamentals of the Canadian health care system, such as population health, ethical and legal issues, health care funding and principles, practice settings, and changing trends.
- Learning Outcomes outline the knowledge that you should gain in each chapter.
- Key Terms open each chapter and include page references for definitions.
- Student-friendly learning aids include summary tables and boxes, photographs, figures, and illustrations.
- Review questions at the end of every chapter test your comprehension of the material.
- Case examples provide real-world scenarios related to the chapter content.
- In The News boxes highlight landmark case law, research developments, emerging health issues, and ethical challenges.
- Thinking It Through questions ask you to critically consider key aspects of health and health care delivery.
- NEW! Coverage of issues and trends includes expanded information on mental health issues, aboriginal health, privatization, use of electronic health records, and interprofessional health care practice.
1. The History of Health Care in Canada
2. Health and the Individual
3. Population Health: Introduction and Principles
4. The Law and Health Care
5. Ethics and Health Care
6. The Role of Health Canada and Other Federal and International Health Agencies
7. The Role of Provincial and Territorial Governments in Health Care
8. The Dollars and ‘Sense’ of Health Care Funding
9. Practitioners and Practice Settings
10. Current Issues and Future Trends in Health Care in Canada
Appendix: Declaration of Alma-Ata: International Conference on Primary Health Care, 6-12 September 1978
Valerie D. Thompson, RN, PHC, NP Primary Care, Former Professor ,School of Health & Life Sciences and Community Services. Professor/Coordinator,Health Office Administration Programme,School of Business and Hospitality,Conestoga Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning,Kitchener, ON