Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,
Designed for one-semester anatomy and physiology courses and for students with little or no background in anatomy and physiology, this new, value-priced text provides a solid framework and just the right amount of content for learning and understanding the interrelations of body systems. A conversational writing style and a variety of study tools enhance student learning, while spectacular artwork clarifies complex concepts and provides expert visual guidance.
- Consistent, unifying elements throughout the book help you understand the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function of these change in relation to age and development.
- A dynamic full-color design with more than 1,000 full-color photographs and illustrations visually reinforce and clarify complex concepts.
- The unique Clear View of the Human Body transparencies display the internal view of male and female bodies along several different planes, strengthening your knowledge of the structure of the body.
- Study hints offer specific suggestions for using many of the learning aids found in each chapter.
- Student learning objectives highlight the things you should know after completing each chapter, helping you focus on the most important concepts.
- Introductory Stories present real-life clinical situations at the beginning of each chapter, with follow-up questions that challenge you to apply what you've learned in practical and creative ways.
- Quick Check questions after major sections reinforce learning by prompting you to immediately review new concepts.
- Review questions at the end of every chapter help you determine how well you have mastered important concepts.
- Critical thinking questions at the end of every chapter challenge your reasoning skills.
- Learning resources on evolve.elsevier.com include A&P Connect, answers to Introductory Story questions, answers to Quick Check questions, audio chapter summaries, audio glossary, Body Spectrum Electronic Anatomy Coloring Book, FAQs, Mechanisms of Disease, online tutoring, Quick Guide to the Language and Science of Medicine, student post-test questions, and web links to related sites.
- Anatomy and Physiology Online features a comprehensive and interactive online course with 22 modules following the body systems presented in the book.
Unit 1: Constituents of the Human Body 1. Organization of The Human Body 2. The Chemistry of Life 3. Anatomy of Cells 4. Physiology of Cells 5. Cell Growth and Reproduction 6. Tissues and Their Functions Unit 2: Support and Movement 7. Skin and Its Appendages 8. Skeletal Tissues 9. Bones and Joints 10. Muscular System Unit 3: Communication, Control, and Integration 11. Cells of the Nervous System 12. Central Nervous System 13. Peripheral Nervous System 14. Sense Organs 15. Endocrine System Unit 4: Transportation and Defense 16. Blood 17. Anatomy of the Cardiovascular System 18. Physiology of the Cardiovascular System 19. Lymphatic and Immune Systems Unit 5: Respiration, Nutrition, and Excretion 20. Respiratory System 21. Digestive System 22. Nutrition and Metabolism 23. Urinary System and Fluid Balance Unit 6: Reproduction and Development 24. Male Reproductive System 25. Female Reproductive System 26. Growth and Development 27. Human Genetics and Heredity
Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor of Anatomy & Physiology Instruction, New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, New York; Professor Emeritus of Life Sciences, St. Charles Community College, Cottleville, Missouri; Assistant Professor Emeritus of Physiology, Course Director Emeritus in Human Physiology, St. Louis University Medical School, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, Gary A. Thibodeau, PhD, Chancellor Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Biology, University of Wisconsin, River Falls, River Falls, Wisconsin, USA and Matthew M. Douglas, PhD, Professor of Zoology
Grand Rapids Community College
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Adjunct Professor, Department of Entomology
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan