Mosby's Textbook for the Home Care Aide - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource,3rd Edition
Covering the essential content and procedures a home care aide needs to know, Mosby’s Textbook for the Home Care Aide, 3rd Edition prepares your students for success in this rapidly growing field. A clear approach makes the book easy to use and understand, featuring hundreds of full-color photographs and drawings, procedures, and chapter summaries and study questions. Updated/expanded in this edition are chapters on meeting the client’s nutritional needs and on getting and keeping a job. Providing step-by-step procedures and realistic scenarios, this textbook prepares students for the many types of situations encountered by home care aides.
- Hundreds of full-color photos and drawings depict key ideas and clearly demonstrate procedure steps.
- Procedures provide step-by-step, easy-to-understand instructions on performing important skills and tasks.
- UNIQUE! A cast of caregivers, including a supervisor and four home care aides, are highlighted in scenarios that provide realistic examples of the types of situations you are likely to encounter in the home care environment.
- Guidelines for Observing, Recording, and Reporting (ORR) are highlighted throughout the text, emphasizing the home care aide’s responsibilities for observing and documenting the client’s condition and care.
- Key considerations and reminders are presented in color font to emphasize the importance of performing these actions.
- Objectives and Key Terms in each chapter focus your attention on essential information.
- Chapter summaries and study questions review the key points in each chapter.
- Updated/Expanded Meeting the Client’s Nutritional Needs chapter includes the new MyPlate food guide and new nutrition guidelines.
- Updated/Expanded Getting a Job and Keeping It chapter reflects the job prospects and challenges of today, including the realities of moving between states and differences in certification requirements.
- Updated equipment photos are included.
- Evolve companion website includes skills competency checklists and an audio glossary.
PART 1: Orientation to Home Care
1. Learning about Home Care
2. The Home Care Industry
3. Developing Effective Communication Skills
4. Understanding Your Client’s Needs
5. Understanding How the Body Works
6. Observing, Reporting, Recording
7. Working with the Ill and Disabled
PART 2: Managing the Home Environment
8. Maintaining a Safe Environment
9. Maintaining a Healthy Environment
10. Meeting the Client’s Nutritional Needs
PART 3: Home Care Procedures
11. Preventing Infection/Medical Asepsis
12. Body Mechanics
14. Personal Care
16. Collecting Specimens
17. Measuring Vital Signs
18. Special Procedures
PART 4: Meeting The Client’s Special Needs
19. Caring for Older Adults
20. Caring for Mothers, Infants, and Children
21. Caring for Clients with Mental Illness
22. Caring for Clients with Illnesses Requiring Home Care
23. Caring for the Dying Client
PART 5: Professional Skills
25. Getting a Job and Keeping It
Joan M. Birchenall, RN, MEd, Trenton, NJ and Eileen Streight, RN, BSN, Hamilton, NJ