Laboratory Procedures for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Now in full color with hundreds of new images, Laboratory Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, 6th Edition covers the broad spectrum of laboratory procedures that veterinary technicians need to perform effectively in the practice setting. Comprehensive content presents the fundamentals of microbiology, hematology, urinalysis, immunology, and cytology, along with the laboratory procedures used to perform the most widely used tests such as complete blood count, urinalysis, and immunologic assays. This edition includes newly organized chapters with expanded coverage of essential material to prepare students for real-life laboratory work.
- Clearly presents the fundamentals of microbiology, hematology, urinalysis, immunology, parasitology, and cytology along with the laboratory procedures used to perform tests in these fields.
- Features the latest information on the most widely used tests, including complete blood count, urinalysis, and immunology assays.
- Features step-by-step procedure boxes, for quick mastery of essential skills.
- Extensive full-color illustrations enhance descriptions of normal and abnormal findings.
- NEW! Streamlined chapters are shorter and easier to digest with expanded coverage of essential material to prepare you for real-life laboratory work.
- NEW! Full-color photos bring concepts to life, sequentially arranged to illustrate step-by-step procedures for all commonly performed diagnostic tests in the clinical laboratory.
- NEW! Companion Lab Manual (sold separately) includes multiple-choice questions, fill-in-the-blank exercises, photo quizzes, labeling exercises, crossword puzzles, and other activities to help you master and apply key concepts and procedures in clinical situations.
- NEW! Special emphasis on the significance of abnormal results of key lab tests, zoonoses, and hematology.
- NEW! Vet Tech Threads provide you with introductions, suggested readings, boxed technician notes, learning objectives, chapter outlines, key terms, and a glossary for easy navigation through chapters and more focused learning.
UNIT 1: THE VETERINARY PRACTICE LABORATORY 1. Safety and OSHA Standards 2. General Laboratory Equipment 3. The Microscope 4. The Metric System and Lab Calculations 5. Quality Control and Record Keeping
UNIT 2: HEMATOLOGY 6. Hematopoeisis 7. Sample Collection and Handling 8. Automated Analyzers 9. Hemoglobin, PCV, and Erythrocyte Indices 10. Evaluating the Blood Film 11. Morphologic Abnormalities of Blood Cells 12. Additional Hematologic Tests 13. Hematopoeitic Disorders and Classification of Anemia
UNIT 3: HEMOSTASIS 14. Principles of Blood Coagulation 15. Sample Collection and Handling 16. Platelet Evaluation 17. Coagulation Testing 18. Disorders of Hemostasis
UNIT 4: IMMUNOLOGY 19. Basic Principles of Immunology 20. Common Tests Performed in the In-House Testing 21. Blood Groups and Immunity 22. Intradermal Testing 23. Reference Laboratory Tests 24. Disorders of the Immune System
UNIT 5: URINALYSIS 25. Anatomy and Physiology of the Urinary System 26. Sample Collection and Handling 27. Physical Examination of Urine 28. Chemical Evaluation 29. Urine Sediment Analysis
UNIT 6: CLINICAL CHEMISTRY 30. Sample Collection and Handling 31. Automated Analyzers 32. Protein Assays and Hepatobiliary Function Tests 33. Kidney Function Tests 34. Pancreatic Function Tests 35. Electrolyte and Acid-Base Status 36. Miscellaneous Tests
UNIT 7: MICROBIOLOGY 37. Introduction to Microbiology 38. Equipment and Supplies 39. Sample Collection and Handling 40. Staining Specimens 41. Culture Techniques 42. Antimicrobial Sensitivity Testing 43. Additional Testing 44. Mycology
UNIT 8: PARASITOLOGY 45. Nematodes 46. Cestodes, Trematodes, and Acantocephelans 47. Protozoa and Rickettsia 48. Arthropods 49. Sample Collection and Handling 50. Diagnostic Techniques
UNIT 9: CYTOLOGY 51. Sample Collection and Handling 52. Preparation of Cytology Smears 53. Microscopic Evaluation 54. Cytology of Specific Sites
Appendix A: Reference Ranges Appendix B: Bacterial Pathogens of Veterinary Importance Appendix C: Professional Associations Related to Veterinary Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics Appendix D: Common Parasites of Some Exotic Animal Species
Margi Sirois, EdD, MS, RVT, CVT, LAT, VTES, Consultant