Mathematics for the Clinical Laboratory - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Filled with easy-to-follow explanations and loads of examples and sample problems, Mathematics for the Clinical Laboratory, 3rd Edition is the perfect resource to help your students master the clinical calculations needed for each area of the laboratory. Content is divided into three sections: a review of math and calculation basics, coverage of particular areas of the clinical laboratory (including immunohematology and microbiology), and statistical calculations. This new third edition also includes a new full-color design, additional text notes, formula summaries, and the latest procedures used in today’s laboratories to ensure your students are fully equipped with the mathematical understanding and application skills needed to succeed in professional practice.
- Examples of calculations for each different type of calculation are worked out in the chapters, step by step to show readers exactly what they’re expected to learn and how to perform each type of calculation.
- Practice problems at the ends of each chapter act as a self-assessment tool to help readers determine what they need to review.
- Example problems and answers throughout the text can also be used as templates for solving laboratory calculations.
- Quick tips and notes throughout the text help readers understand and remember pertinent information.
- Answer key to the practice problems appears in the back of the book.
- Updated content and calculations reflect the latest procedures used in today’s laboratories.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter provide a measurable outcome to achieve by the completing the chapter material.
- NEW! Summaries of important formulas are included at the ends of major sections.
- NEW! Full-color design creates a more accessible look and feel.
- NEW! Greek symbol appendix at the end of the book provides a quick place for readers to turn to when studying.
- NEW! Glossary at the back of the textbook includes definitions of important mathematical terms.
1. Basic Arithmetic, Rounding Numbers, and Significant Figures
2. Scientific Notation and Logarithms
3. Systems of Measurement
4. Dilutions and Titers
6. Clinical Chemistry Laboratory
7. Urinalysis Laboratory
8. Hematology Laboratory
9. Immunohematology Laboratory
10. Microbiology Laboratory
11. Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
12. Quality Assurance in the Clinical Laboratory: Basic Statistical Concepts
13. Quality Assurance and Quality Control in the Clinical Laboratory
14. Comprehensive Laboratory Quality Assurance
Lorraine J. Doucette, MS, MT(ASCP), CLS(NCA), Assistant Professor and Director, MLS Program Department of Medical and Research Technology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, Former Academic Chair, MLT, MLA and Phlebotomy Programs, Anne Arundel Community College Arnold, Maryland