Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning and Clinical Judgment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 6th Edition
What's behind every healed patient? Critical thinking! And what book best equips you to master the critical thinking skills needed for success on the NCLEX examination and in professional nursing practice? Alfaro's Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment, 6th Edition! With a motivational style and insightful "how-to" approach, this unique textbook draws upon real-life scenarios and evidence-based strategies as it guides you in learning to think critically in clinically meaningful ways. The new edition features a more streamlined, full-color design, and expanded coverage on some of key trends, including: interdisciplinary care teams, competency-based education, the IOM’s Leading Health Indicators, legal considerations, the effects of the Affordable Care Act, and much more. If you want to truly succeed in nursing practice today and be thinking-oriented rather than task-oriented, then look no further than this one-of-a-kind textbook.
- Simple approach and motivational writing style include vivid examples, memorable anecdotes, and real case scenarios to make content come alive.
- Practical strategies to promote critical thinking, clinical reasoning, and clinical judgment are incorporated along with supporting evidence as to why the strategies work.
- Focus on application (or "how to") and inclusion of supporting rationales (theory) make difficult concepts easy to learn.
- Critical thinking indicators feature evidence-based descriptions from the author of behaviors that promote critical thinking in nursing practice.
- Highlighted features and sections — such as Chapter at a Glance, Pre-Chapter Self-Tests, Guiding Principles, Critical Moments, Other Perspectives, Think-Pair-Share, Help Me Out cartoons, real-life clinical scenarios, key points, critical thinking exercises, and more — promote independent learning.
- UNIQUE! Brain-based learning principles utilize strategies that challenge the mind and are incorporated throughout the text.
- Timely coverage includes topical issues, such as: problem-focused versus outcome-focused thinking, prioritizing, developing a culture of safety, healthy work environments, expanding roles related to diagnosis and management, applying delegation principles, evidence-based practice, improving grades and passing tests the first time, NCLEX preparation, ensuring documentation reflects critical thinking, communication and interpersonal skills, strategies for common workplace challenges, and more.
- Inclusion of ethics- and standards-based professional practice reflects today’s professional climate which demands increasing accountability.
- Incorporation of cultural, spiritual, and lifespan content along with the nurse’s role in hospitals, communities, and long-term care settings presents a broad approach to critical thinking.
- Discussion of Tanner and Benner’s most recent work on what the research says about critical thinking and clinical judgment in nursing keeps readers up to date on the evidence-based side of practice.
- Coverage of IOM, QSEN, and other patient safety standards also keeps readers up to date on safe and effective nursing care.
- NEW! Full-color, eye-catching design facilitates learning.
- NEW! Additional coverage of key trends in nursing education and practice, discuss important topics such as interdisciplinary care teams, competency-based education, clinical residencies, leadership at the bedside, and implications of the Affordable Care Act.
- NEW! Updated coverage of the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) Leading Health Indicators addresses the latest Healthy People 2020 goals.
- NEW! Carefully improved pedagogy throughout the text features streamlined headings, learning features, and content to help readers focus on what’s most important to know.
- NEW! Inclusion of key concepts from Jean Giddens' work are now listed in the chapter openers.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of legal considerations brings this increasingly important subject area to the forefront of consideration.
- NEW! Interactive NCLEX practice questions are now available on the Evolve companion website to better simulate the NCLEX test-taking experience.
- NEW! Shorter chapter organization gives readers more manageable reading assignments.
1. What are Critical Thinking, Clinical Reasoning, and Clinical Judgment?
2. Developing Critical Thinking
3. Critical Thinking and Learning Cultures: Teaching, Learning, and Taking Tests
4. Clinical Reasoning and Clinical Judgment
5. Ethical Reasoning, Evidence-Based Practice and Quality Improvement
6. Practicing Clinical Reasoning Skills: Applying the Nursing Process
7. Interpersonal, Teamwork, and Self-Management Skills
A. Example Responses
B. Concept Mapping: Getting in the "Right" State of Mind
C. Results of Two Studies Describing Critical Thinking Skills
D. Key Brain Parts Involved in Thinking
E. Patients' Rights and Responsibilities
Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre, RN, MSN, ANEF, President, Teaching Smart/Learning Easy, Stuart, FL