Maternal, Fetal, & Neonatal Physiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Awarded first place in the 2018 AJN Book of the Year Awards in the Maternal-Child Health/Prenatal Nursing/ Childbirth category! Ensure your students are equipped to provide the best prenatal, intrapartum, postpartum, and neonatal care possible. Maternal, Fetal, & Neonatal Physiology: A Clinical Perspective, 5th Edition includes expert insight and clinically relevant coverage of the physiologic changes that occur throughout all major periods of the perinatal experience. This classic reference gives students a solid foundation for assessment and therapeutic interventions, featuring an emphasis on the evolving interrelationships between mother, fetus, and neonate and adaptations of preterm and term infants to the extrauterine environment.
- Solid coverage of the physiologic bases for assessment and therapeutic interventions make this an ideal resource for maternity, neonatal, women’s health, or midwifery programs.
- Synthesis of the latest research studies and evidence-based practice provides vital data on normal physiologic changes during the antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum periods; anatomic and functional development of the fetus; and developmental physiology of preterm and term neonates.
- Coverage of pathophysiology and interventions for the pregnant woman, fetus, and newborn for selected abnormal events gives you a solid understanding of physiologic adaptations and developmental physiology relating to major body systems and metabolic processes.
- Pharmacology tables offer quick access to key pharmacology information and drug effects with clinical examples.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content addresses the very latest practice issues and provides the basis for understanding physiologic adaptations in pregnant women, infants, and children.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of maternal, fetal, neonatal, and pediatric physiology.
- NEW! Soft cover and added color provide a contemporary look and feel.
UNIT I: REPRODUCTIVE AND DEVELOPMENTAL PROCESSES 1. Biologic Basis for Reproduction 2. Physiologic Basis for Reproduction 3. Prenatal Period and Placental Physiology 4. Parturition and Uterine Physiology 5. Postpartum Period and Lactation Physiology 6. Fetal Assessment 7. Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetics During the Perinatal Period
UNIT II: ADAPTATIONS IN MAJOR BODY SYSTEMS IN THE PREGNANT WOMAN, FETUS, AND NEONATE 8. Hematologic and Hemostatic Systems 9. Cardiovascular System 10. Respiratory System 11. Renal System and Fluid and Electrolyte Homeostasis 12. Gastrointestinal and Hepatic Systems and Perinatal Nutrition 13. Immune System and Host Defense Mechanisms 14. Integumentary System 15. Neurologic, Muscular, and Sensory Systems
UNIT III: ADAPTATIONS IN METABOLIC PROCESSES IN THE PREGNANT WOMAN, FETUS, AND NEONATE 16. Carbohydrate, Fat, and Protein Metabolism 17. Calcium and Phosphorus Metabolism 18. Bilirubin Metabolism 19. Pituitary, Adrenal, and Thyroid Function 20. Thermoregulation
Susan Blackburn, PhD, RN, C, FAAN, Parent and Child Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, WA