Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination 9th Edition offers a uniquely interprofessional, patient-centered, lifespan approach to physical examination and health assessment. This new edition features an increased focus on patient safety, clinical reasoning, and evidence-based practice, along with an emphasis on the development of good communication skills and effective hands-on examination techniques. Each core chapter is organized into four sections – Anatomy and Physiology, Review of Related History, Examination and Findings, and Abnormalities – with lifespan content integrated into each area. Written by an author team comprised of advance practice nurses and physicians with specialties in the care of adults, older adults, and children, this one-of-a-kind textbook addresses health assessment and physical examination for a wide variety of disciplines.
- UNIQUE! Interprofessional, interdisciplinary approach, written by two advanced practice nurses and three physicians, with expertise in both pediatric and adult-geriatric health.
- UPDATED! Infectious outbreak content addresses the growing problem of global infectious disease outbreaks such as Zika and Ebola and the need for infection precautions.
- UNIQUE! Cross-references to Dains et al:Advanced Health Assessment & Clinical Diagnosis in Primary Care help you take "the next step" in your clinical reasoning abilities and provides a more seamless user experience.
- UNIQUE! Compassionate, patient-centered approach emphasizes developing good communication skills, use of effective hands-on examination techniques, and reliance on clinical reasoning and clinical decision-making.
- Integrated lifespan content includes separate sections in each chapter on Infants and Children, Adolescents, Pregnant Women, and Older Adults.
- NEW! Emphasis on clinical reasoning provides insights and clinical expertise to help you develop clinical judgment skills.
- NEW! Enhanced emphasis on patient safety and healthcare quality, particularly as it relates to sports participation.
- NEW! Content on documentation has been updated with a stronger focus on electronic charting (EHR/EMR).
- NEW! Enhanced social inclusiveness and patient-centeredness incorporates LGBTQ patients and providers, with special a emphasis on cultural competency, history-taking, and special considerations for examination of the breasts, female and male genitalia, reproductive health, thyroid, and anus/rectum/prostate.
- NEW! Telemedicine, virtual consults, and video interpreters content added to the Growth, Measurement, and Nutrition chapter.
- NEW! Improved readability with a clear, straightforward, and easy-to-understand writing style.
- NEW! Updated drawing, and photographs enhance visual appeal and clarify anatomical content and exam techniques.
1. The History and Interviewing Process 2. Cultural Competency 3. Examination Techniques and Equipment 4. Clinical Reasoning 5. Documentation 6. Vital Signs and Pain Assessment 7. Mental Status 8. Growth, Measurement, and Nutrition 9. Skin, Hair, and Nails 10. Lymphatic System 11. Head and Neck 12. Eyes 13. Ears, Nose, and Throat 14. Chest and Lungs 15. Heart 16. Blood Vessels 17. Breasts and Axillae 18. Abdomen 19. Female Genitalia 20. Male Genitalia 21. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate 22. Musculoskeletal System 23. Neurologic System 24. Sports Participation Evaluation 25. Putting It All Together 26. Emergency or Life-Threatening Situations
Appendix A: Height/Weight Growth Charts Appendix B: Pediatric Blood Pressure Tables
Jane W. Ball, RN DrPH CPNP, Chief Nursing and Content O cer,Triaj, Inc, Havre de Grace, Maryland, Joyce E. Dains, DrPH JD APRN FNP BC FNAP FAANP FAAN, Professor and Executive Director, Advanced Practice;The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center,Houston, Texas, John A. Flynn, MD, MBA, MEd, Professor of Medicine;The University of Chicago,Chicago, Illinois, Barry S Solomon, MD, MPH, Professor of Pediatrics,Chief, Division of General Pediatrics;Assistant Dean for Medical Student A airs,The Johns Hopkins University,School of Medicine,Baltimore, Maryland and Rosalyn W Stewart, MD, MS, MBA, Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics;The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine,Baltimore, Maryland