Physical Examination and Health Assessment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With an easy-to-follow approach and unmatched learning support, Jarvis’s Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 8th Edition is the most authoritative, complete, and easily implemented solution for health assessment in nursing. This tightly integrated learning package continues to center on Carolyn Jarvis’s trademark clear, logical, and holistic approach to physical examination and health assessment across the patient lifespan. It’s packed with vivid illustrations, step-by-step guidance and evidence-based content to provide a complete approach to health assessment skills and physical examination. With a fresh focus on today’s need-to-know information, the 8th edition integrates QSEN and interprofessional collaboration, features enhanced inclusion of LGBTQ considerations, includes a new standalone Vital Signs chapter, and provides enhanced EHR and documentation content.
- The most trusted name in health assessment for nurses, now in its 8th edition!
- A clear, conversational, step-by-step, evidence-based approach to physical examination and health assessment of patients throughout the lifespan.
- A consistent format from chapter to chapter features sections on Structure and Function, Subjective Data, Objective Data, Documentation and Critical Thinking, and Abnormal Findings to help you learn to assess systematically.
- UPDATED! An unsurpassed collection of more than 1,100 full-color illustrations has been updated to vividly showcase anatomy and physiology, examination techniques, and abnormal findings.
- Enhanced content on the electronic health record, charting, and narrative recording exemplify how to document assessment findings using state-of-the-art systems with time-tested thoroughness.
- Engaging learning resources include assessment video clips; NCLEX® Exam review questions; case studies with critical thinking activities; audio clips of heart, lung, and abdominal sounds; assessment checklists, and much more.
- Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle boxes present opportunities for patient teaching and health promotion while performing the health assessment.
- Developmental Competence sections highlight content specific to infants, children, adolescents, pregnant women, and older adults.
- Culture and Genetics sections include information on biocultural and transcultural variations in an increasingly diverse patient population.
- NEW! Standalone Vital Signs chapter and refocused nutrition content include an expanded emphasis on the national epidemic of obesity.
- NEW! Enhanced integration of QSEN and interprofessional collaboration emphasize how to ensure patient safety during the physical exam and how to collaborate with other health professionals to promote optimal health.
- NEW! Enhanced inclusion of LGBTQ issues and revamped and refocused Cultural Assessment chapter equip you with the skills to practice with greater sensitivity and inclusivity.
- NEW! Health Promotion and Patient Teaching sections underscore the unique role of nurses (especially advanced practice nurses) in health promotion.
1. Evidence-Based Assessment 2. Cultural Assessment 3. The Interview 4. The Complete Health History 5. Mental Status Assessment 6. Substance Use Assessment 7. Domestic and Family Violence Assessment 8. Assessment Techniques and Safety in the Clinical Setting 9. General Survey and Measurement 10. Vital Signs 11. Pain Assessment 12. Nutrition Assessment 13. Skin, Hair, and Nails 14. Head, Face, Neck, and Regional Lymphatics 15. Eyes 16. Ears 17. Nose, Mouth, and Throat 18. Breasts, Axillae, and Regional Lymphatics 19. Thorax and Lungs 20. Heart and Neck Vessels 21. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System 22. Abdomen 23. Musculoskeletal System 24. Neurologic System 25. Male Genitourinary System 26. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate 27. Female Genitourinary System 28. The Complete Health Assessment: Adult 29. The Complete Physical Assessment: Infant, Young Child, and Adolescent 30. Bedside Assessment and Electronic Documentation 31. The Pregnant Woman 32. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APN, CNP, Professor, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Nurse Practitioner, Community Health Care Clinic, Bloomington, Illinois