Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Hands-on practice leads to safe and accurate drug calculations! Math Calculations for Pharmacy Technicians, 3rd Edition helps your students master the competencies required by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Designed specifically for pharmacy Pharmacy techniciansTechnicians, this practical worktext simplifies medication calculation concepts and provides hundreds of practice problems to help them hone these skills. Coverage includes topics such as a review of basic math skills, conversions between measurement systems, interpreting drug labels and physicians' orders, and calculating medication dosages based on a patient's age or body weight. The worktext format distills complex content into easy-to-understand concepts and calculations. It’s the complete drug calculation guide that pharmacy Pharmacy technician Technician students need!
- Hundreds of practice problems throughout covering calculations, conversions, and measurements.
- Step-by-step examples to break down complex equations and formulas into simple building blocks.
- UNIQUE! Body system icons next to medication names to help students associate different drugs with their respective disorders and body systems.
- Chapter pretests and posttests to help students assess comprehension and areas of strength and improvement.
- Key terms with definitions and in-text highlights, accompanied by a handy back-of-book glossary for reference.
- Tech Notes with helpful advice on handling real-life situations in the pharmacy.
- Tech Alerts to warn against common pharmacy and medication errors that could impact patient safety.
- Review of Rules at the end of each chapter to summarize key equations and formulas.
- NEW! Enhanced coverage of chemotherapy and TPN (total parenteral nutrition) calculations.
- NEW! Appendix with additional exercises in a comprehensive review.
- NEW! Drug labels for realistic examples and problems.
Section I: Introduction and Basic Math Skills
1. Assessment of Mathematical Skills Needed in Health Occupations
2. Review of Basic Mathematical Skills
Section II: Measurements Used in Health Care and Conversions between Measurement Systems
3. Conversion of Clinical Measurements of Numbers, Time and Temperature
4. Comparisons of Measurement Systems
5. Conversions between Measurement Systems
Section III: Medication and Prescription Orders and Their Calculations
6. Interpretation of Medication Labels and Orders
7. Calculation of Solid Oral Doses and Dosages
8. Calculate Doses of Liquid Oral and Parenteral Medications
9. Reconstitution of Powders or Crystals into Liquid Medications
Section IV: Special Medication Calculations
10. Calculation of Medications for Special Populations Based on Body Weight and Patient Age
11. Calculation of Medications Measured in Units, Milliequivalents and Percents of Concentration
12. Calculation of Medications for Intravenous Uses (with TPN & chemotherapy coverage)
13. Calculation of Mixtures from Stock Medications
14. Interpreting Physician’s Orders for Dosages
Section V: Business Math
15. Business Math for Pharmacy Technicians
Answer Key (every third problem only)
Elaine Beale, RPh, Program Director and Instructor Pharmacy Technician Program Paul D. Camp Community College Franklin, VA