Case Studies and Clinical Simulations for Respiratory Care, 2nd Edition
Prepare for success on the NBRC exam with a complete review and test-taking practice! Case Studies and Clinical Simulations for Respiratory Care, 2nd Edition provides real-life patient management scenarios to help you master the essential knowledge and skills required of advanced respiratory therapists. The case studies are designed as preparation for the NBRC’s Therapist Multiple Choice (TMC) Exam; the clinical simulations help you get ready for the NBRC’s Clinical Simulation Exam (CSE). This review consists of 14 patient management cases linked with 14 clinical simulations, allowing you to select a case study and work through the simulation as if it were an actual patient. Developed by respected respiratory care educator James R. Sills, this online review reflects the newest version of the NBRC exam.
Some content has been removed from this site because Flash is no longer supported on web browsers.
- UNIQUE! Case studies with parallel clinical simulations offer real-life patient management scenarios that allow you to practice information gathering and decision making before taking the very difficult NBRC CSE portion of the RRT exam or before moving into the clinical setting.
- UNIQUE! Case studies with patient data records provide real-world samples of charted patient data frequently seen in the clinical setting.
- High-quality lung and heart sounds, radiographic images, waveforms, and other images provide realistic patient assessment data.
- NBRC-style multiple-choice questions include rationales for both correct and incorrect answers, helping you with content review and self-evaluation.
- Branching logic format for the clinical simulations is similar to the testing feature used on the NBRC CSE, presenting a logical progression and creating a "cause-and-effect" style of learning, i.e., decisions made will determine the patient care pathway.
- Software mirroring the NBRC CSE experience allows you to become more comfortable with the computer testing format, focusing less on how the computer works and more on what is best for the patient.
- Examples of pathologic conditions, case studies, and clinical simulations support important material and reflect the NBRC CSE content outline.
- Scoring scale similar to the NBRC’s CSE provides familiarity and practice for real-life testing.
- New! Three case studies and clinical simulations expand coverage in the adult trauma, adult neurological/neuromuscular, and neonatal areas.
- New! Anatomy animations improve your understanding of important respiratory care procedures and concepts.
- UPDATED! Timer for Clinical Simulations helps you track your time by section and by the total time spent, while providing an alert for when time has elapsed in a real exam scenario.
Adult Chronic Airways Disease
1. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
1. Chest Trauma, Pneumothorax
2. Smoke Inhalation
1. Pulmonary Embolism
2. Heart Failure and Open-Heart Surgery
Adult Neurological or Neuromuscular
1. Guillain-Barré Syndrome
2. Traumatic Brain Injury
Adult Medical or Surgical
1. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
2. Special Procedures: Cardioversion and Bronchoscopy
1. Near Drowning
1. Infant Respiratory Distress Syndrome
2. Meconium Aspiration Syndrome
James R. Sills, MEd, CPFT, RRT, Professor Emeritus, Former Director, Respiratory Care Program, Rock Valley College, Rockford, IL