Case Studies and Clinical Simulations for Respiratory Care (Retail Access Card), 2nd Edition
Online Course - Access Card
Prepare for success on the NBRC exam with a complete review and test-taking practice! Case Studies & Clinical Simulations for Respiratory Care, 2nd Edition provides real-life patient management scenarios to help you master the essential knowledge and skills required of advanced respiratory therapists. The case studies are designed as preparation for the NBRC’s Therapist Multiple Choice (TMC) Exam; the clinical simulations help you get ready for the NBRC’s Clinical Simulation Exam (CSE). This review consists of 14 patient management cases linked with 14 clinical simulations, allowing you to select a case study and work through the simulation as if it were an actual patient. Developed by respected respiratory care educator James R. Sills, this online review reflects the newest version of the NBRC exam.
Duration for access to this product is for the life of the edition.
- UNIQUE! Case studies with parallel clinical simulations offer real-life patient management scenarios that allow you to practice information gathering and decision making before taking the very difficult NBRC CSE portion of the RRT exam or before moving into the clinical setting.
- UNIQUE! Case studies with patient data records provide real-world samples of charted patient data frequently seen in the clinical setting.
- High-quality lung and heart sounds, radiographic images, waveforms, and other images provide realistic patient assessment data.
- NBRC-style multiple-choice questions include rationales for both correct and incorrect answers, helping you with content review and self-evaluation.
- Branching logic format for the clinical simulations is similar to the testing feature used on the NBRC CSE, presenting a logical progression and creating a "cause-and-effect" style of learning, i.e., decisions made will determine the patient care pathway.
- Software mirroring the NBRC CSE experience allows you to become more comfortable with the computer testing format, focusing less on how the computer works and more on what is best for the patient.
- Examples of pathologic conditions, case studies, and clinical simulations support important material and reflect the NBRC CSE content outline.
- Scoring scale similar to the NBRC’s CSE provides familiarity and practice for real-life testing.
- New! Three case studies and clinical simulations are added in the adult trauma, adult neurological/neuromuscular, and neonatal areas.
- New! Anatomy animations improve your understanding of important respiratory care procedures and concepts.
- New! Additional breathing sounds provide more realism and depth to patient assessment data.
- UPDATED! Timer for Clinical Simulations helps you track your time by section and by the total time spent, while providing an alert for when time has elapsed in a real exam scenario.
Adult Chronic Airways Disease
1. Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation
2. Noninvasive Management (as, medical treatment, noninvasive positive pressure ventilation)
3. Outpatient Management of COPD (as, treatment, discharge planning, rehabilitation)
4. Outpatient Management of Asthma (as, medical treatment, discharge planning, rehabilitation)
5. Diagnosis (as, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, asthma)
1. Heart Failure
2. Other (as, arrhythmia, pulmonary hypertension, myocardial ischemia/infarction, pulmonary embolism)
Adult Neurological or Neuromuscular
Adult Medical or Surgical
1. Cystic Fibrosis or Non-Cystic Fibrosis Bronchiectasis
2. Infectious Disease
3. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
4. Other (as, immunocompromised, shock, bariatric, psychiatric)
2. Other (as, infectious disease, bronchiolitis, chronic lung disease of prematurity, congenital defect)
1. Respiratory Distress Syndrome
James R. Sills, MEd, CPFT, RRT, Professor Emeritus, Former Director, Respiratory Care Program, Rock Valley College, Rockford, IL