Workbook for Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Focus on the most important information about how to safely and compassionately care for patients who need ventilator support. Corresponding to the chapters in Pilbeam's Mechanical Ventilation, 7th Edition, this workbook is an easy-to-use guide to help you prepare for your credentialing exams. It includes a wide range of exercises, crossword puzzles, critical thinking questions, NBRC-style multiple-choice questions, case studies, waveform analysis, ventilation data analysis, and fill-in-the-blank and short-answer activities.
- Close correlation with the Pilbeam's main text supports learning from the textbook.
- Wide variety of learning exercises — including crossword puzzles, NBRC-style questions, case study exercises, waveform analysis, ventilation date analyses, and numerous question formats — helps students assess their knowledge and practice areas of weakness.
- Critical Thinking questions ask students to solve problems relating to real-life scenarios that may be encountered in practice.
- Answers to all questions from workbook available on main text Evolve site.
1. Basic Terms and Concepts of Mechanical Ventilation
2. How Ventilators Work
3. How a Breath Is Delivered
4. Establishing the Need for Mechanical Ventilation
5. Selecting the Ventilator and the Mode
6. Initial Ventilator Settings
7. Final Considerations in Ventilator Setup
8. Initial Patient Assessment
9. Ventilator Graphics
10. Assessment of Respiratory Function
11. Hemodynamic Monitoring
12. Methods to Improve Ventilation in Patient-Ventilator Management
13. Improving Oxygenation and Management of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
14. Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
15. Sedatives, Analgesics and Paralytics
16. Extrapulmonary Effects of Mechanical Ventilation
17. Effects of Positive-Pressure Ventilation on the Pulmonary System
18. Troubleshooting and Problem Solving
19. Basic Concepts of Noninvasive Positive- Pressure Ventilation
20. Weaning and Discontinuation from Mechanical Ventilation
21. Long-Term Ventilation
22. Neonatal and Pediatric Mechanical Ventilation
23. Special Techniques in Ventilatory Support
James M. Cairo, PhD, RRT, FAARC, Dean of the School of Allied Health Professions, Professor of Cardiopulmonary Science, Physiology, and Anesthesiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana and Sandra T Hinski, PHD, MS, RRT-NPS, Faculty Respiratory Care Division Gateway Community College Phoenix, Arizona