Today's Medical Assistant, 4th Edition
Bringing together comprehensive, easy-to-read coverage of medical assisting competencies and a solid foundation of anatomy and physiology, Today's Medical Assistant: Clinical & Administrative Procedures, 4th Edition provides everything you need to successfully begin a career as a medical assistant. This hands-on guide uses easy-to-follow language and detailed visuals to walk you through all the medical knowledge, procedures, and skills you need for success in today's fast-paced medical office. Cutting-edge content is organized around medical assisting standards and competencies, supplemented throughout with a wide assortment of engaging learning tools and activities that help you to fully understand and demonstrate those competencies. The 4th Edition features enhanced coverage of healthcare law, certification, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more, as well as additional procedures to address behavior-based competencies and expanded sample certification exams online. For tomorrow’s professional landscape, look no further than Today’s Medical Assistant!
- Consistent and meticulous coverage throughout all elements of the text and its learning package provide reliable content and unparalleled accuracy on the responsibilities of the modern medical assistant.
- More than 120 detailed, step-by-step procedures with illustrations are accompanied by skills videos online.
- UNIQUE! Effective learning aids include procedure charting activities, What Would You Do?/What Would You Not Do? scenarios, patient education and practice applications, and much more.
- Wide range of engaging learning activities on the companion website provide fun, interactive practice.
- NEW! New content on healthcare trends and laws, certification for Medical Assistants, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more ensures that you have the latest information needed to obtain employment and long-term success on the job.
- NEW! New procedures address the affective (behavior-based) MAERB competencies to provide example-driven learning tools.
- NEW! Updated art program focuses on the workings of a modern medical office and includes updated illustrations and photographs of office procedures and medical records.
- NEW! Expanded and updated sample certification exams provide realistic practice to help you prepare to pass the test and launch your Medical Assisting career.
SECTION 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting 1. The Health Care System 2. The Professional Medical Assistant 3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office 4. Interacting with Patients
SECTION 2: Anatomy and Physiology 5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 6. Integumentary System 7. Skeletal System 8. Muscular System 9. Nervous System 10. The Senses 11. Endocrine System 12. Circulatory System 13. Respiratory System 14. Digestive System 15. Urinary System 16. Reproductive System
SECTION 3: Clinical Component 17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard 18. Sterilization and Disinfection 19. Vital Signs 20. The Physical Examination 21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures 22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing 23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care 24. The Pediatric Examination 25. Minor Office Surgery 26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy 27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures 28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures: Colon Procedures, Male Reproductive Health, and Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging 29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 30. Urinalysis 31. Phlebotomy 32. Hematology 33. Blood Chemistry and Immunology 34. Medical Microbiology 35. Nutrition 36. Emergency Preparedness and Protective Practices 37. Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
SECTION 4: Administrative Component 38. The Medical Record 39. Patient Reception 40. Medical Office Computerization 41. Telephone Techniques 42. Scheduling Appointments 43. Medical Records Management 44. Written Communications and Mail 45. Managing Practice Finances 46. Medical Coding 47. Medical Insurance 48. Billing and Collections 49. The Medical Assistant as Office Manager 50. Obtaining Employment
Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants, Sue Hunt, MA, RN, CMA (AAMA), Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA and Edith Applegate, MS, Professor of Sciences and Mathematics, Kettering College of Medical Arts, Kettering, OH