Kinn's the Administrative Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 14th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
More than any other product on the market, the most successful Medical Assistants begin their careers with Kinn. Trusted for more than 60 years, Kinn's The Administrative Medical Assistant: An Applied Learning Approach, 14th Edition teaches you real-world administrative skills essential for a career in the modern medical office – always with a focus on application through unfolding case scenarios, critical thinking questions, procedure videos, and interactive exercises. The reorganized 14th edition includes expanded content on topics from professionalism and interpersonal skills to billing and coding, electronic health records, and practice management as well as a new chapter reviewing medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology. With an easy-to-read style and practical focus, paired with a full complement of separately sold adaptive solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation experience, and HESI remediation and assessment — you’ll learn the leading skills to prepare for certification and a successful career in the dynamic and growing Medical Assisting profession.
- Comprehensive coverage of all administrative procedures prepares you to run a medical office.
- 65 step-by-step illustrated procedures with rationales break down key administrative skills to master.
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in a real-world setting, including case scenarios, critical thinking exercises, procedures videos, and interactive online activities.
- Thorough EHR coverage with access to hands-on activities incorporates use of SimChart® for the Medical Office software (sold separately) designed to ensure that you are practice-ready.
- Key vocabulary terms and definitions are presented at the beginning of each chapter and highlighted in text discussions.
- Summary of Learning Objectives serves as a checkpoint and study tool.
- Robust companion website includes chapter quizzes, sample certification exams, procedures videos, and interactive exercises.
- Patient education and legal and ethical features help relate content to practical use.
- NEW! Chapter reviews medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology to help you build a solid foundation.
- NEW! Reorganized and expanded content covers medical office accounts, collections, banking, and practice management to build a deep understanding of the workings of a medical office.
- NEW! Artwork focused on the workings of a modern medical office includes updated illustrations and photographs of procedures and medical records.
- NEW! Expanded and updated sample certification exams help you practice and prepare for certification.
- NEW! Streamlined presentation refines organization and writing for easy comprehension.
- NEW! Coverage of patient-centered care featured throughout textbook.
PART 1 – Introduction to Medical Assisting 1.The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team 2.Therapeutic Communication 3.Legal Principles 4.Healthcare Laws 5.Healthcare Ethics 6.Introduction to Anatomy and Medical Terminology 7.Patient Coaching
PART 2 – Fundamentals of Ambulatory Care Administration 8.Technology 9.Written Communication 10.Telephone Techniques 11.Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing 12.Health Records 13.Daily Operations and Safety 14.Principles of Pharmacology
PART 3 – Coding and Medical Billing 15.Health Insurance Essentials 16.Diagnostic Coding Essentials 17.Procedural Coding Essentials 18.Medical Billing and Reimbursement Essentials
PART 4 – Advanced Ambulatory Care Administration 19.Patient Accounts and Practice Management 20.Advanced Roles in Administration
PART 5 – Assisting with Medical Specialties 21.Medical Emergencies
PART 6 – Job Seeking 22.Skills and Strategies
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin and P. Ann Weaver, MSEd, MT(ASCP), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin