PeriAnesthesia Nursing Core Curriculum Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Prepare your students to succeed on the CPAN® and CAPA® exams with this authoritative guide from ASPAN! PeriAnesthesia Nursing Core Curriculum, 4th Edition is a comprehensive reference that helps nursing students learn how to care for patients before and after anesthesia in all types of settings. Coverage of the full scope of perianesthesia nursing makes it an ideal resource for both inpatient and outpatient care. Completely updated content includes the newest advances in interventional radiology, robotics, and endoscopy procedures. Written by the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses (ASPAN) and edited by respected perianesthesia nurses Lois Schick and Pam Windle, this book will help your students build the skills and expertise they need to excel on certification exams and in practice.
- Perianesthesia Complications chapter now appears after the System Competencies section to quickly display complications for all system competencies in one spot to help you find this vital information easily.
- System Competencies chapters have been updated to focus on specific, non-redundant topics to help you grasp key points right away.
- UPDATED! Certification of Perianesthesia Nurses and Testing Concepts and Strategies appendicies provide helpful tools for CPAN® or CAPA® certification to assist you to prepare for these exams.
- This authoritative guide written by ASPAN covers the full scope of perianesthesia practice to help you prepare to succeed in practice and on the CPAN® and CAPA® exams.
- Easy-to-use outline format serves as a quick review and reference.
- Objectives at the beginning of each chapter focus on key content to allow you to use the book more effectively.
- Plentiful boxes, tables and illustrations highlight important references to ensure you get the most out of the book’s mutifaceted topics.
- A bibliography at the end of every chapter provides additional resources to make it easy for you to research at an in-depth level.
- NEW! Two-color and two-column design arranges information logically to help you quickly find key information.
- NEW! Content on enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS), gender diversity, DNR/DNAR/DNI, and the drug Bridion® (sugammadex) showcases a wide variety of important topics to help you gain a deep understanding of the spectrum of perianesthesia.
- NEW! Updated content reflects changes in the ASPAN Core Curriculum as well as CPAN® and CAPA® testing to ensure you stay current in perianesthesia in the classroom and in clinicals.
TABLE OF CONTENTS SECTION ONE: PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES 1. Evolution of Perianesthesia Care 2. Standards, Legal Issues, and Practice Settings 3. Safety, Quality Improvement, and Regulatory and Accrediting Agencies 4. Research and Evidence-Based Practice SECTION TWO: PREOPERATIVE ASSESSMENT COMPETENCIES 5. Preoperative Evaluation 6. Preexisting Medical Conditions 7. Transcultural Nursing and Alternative Therapies 8. The Developmentally and Physically Challenged Patient SECTION THREE: LIFE SPAN COMPETENCIES 9. The Pediatric Patient 10. The Adolescent Patient 11. The Adult Patient 12. The Geriatric Patient SECTION FOUR: PERIANESTHESIA COMPETENCIES 13. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 14. Anesthesia, Moderate Sedation/Analgesia 15. Thermoregulation 16. Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting 17. Pain and Comfort SECTION FIVE: SYSTEM COMPETENCIES 18. Respiratory 19. Cardiovascular 20. Neurological 21. Endocrine 22. Gastrointestinal 23. General Surgery 24. Hematology 25. Renal/Genitourinary 26. Obstetrics and Gynecology 27. Ophthalmology 28. Oral/Maxillofacial/Dental 29. Orthopedics and Podiatry 30. Otorhinolaryngology 31. Peripheral Vascular Disease 32. Plastic and Reconstruction 33. Bariatrics 34. Trauma 35. Interventional Radiology and Special Procedures 36. Perianesthesia Complications SECTION SIX: EDUCATION AND DISCHARGE COMPETENCIES 37. Postoperative/Postprocedure Assessment 38. Discharge Criteria, Education, and Postprocedure Care
APPENDICES Appendix A: Certification of Perianesthesia Nurses: The CPAN® and CAPA® Certification Programs Appendix B: Testing Concepts and Strategies
ASPAN, Lois Schick, MN, MBA, RN, CPAN, CAPA, FASPAN, Perianesthesia Nurse Consultant Per Diem Staff Nurse II, PACU Lutheran Medical Center Wheat Ridge, Colorado and Pamela E Windle, DNP, RN, NE-BC, CPAN, CAPA, FAAN, FASPAN, Perianesthesia Nurse Consultant Nursing Program Manager Harris Health System Houston, Texas