Workbook for Health Insurance Today Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Corresponding to the chapters in Health Insurance Today, 7th Edition, this workbook lets students practice the skills they will need to succeed as a health insurance professional. Practical assignments reinforce the information in the text, and engaging learning activities and exercises challenge students to apply their knowledge to real-world situations. This edition expands its focus on case studies and the use of practice management software, adding more opportunities for application in the medical office.
- Performance-based activities include hands-on, application-based learning exercises that provide practice in areas such as completing claim forms, posting payments to a patient's ledger, filling out Release to Return to Work forms, and filling out Medicare appeals.
- Critical thinking activities strengthen your ability to apply health insurance concepts to a variety of challenging situations, with Stop and Think exercises allowing you to apply critical thinking skills to solve a problem or answer a question.
- Chapter assessments test your knowledge with multiple choice, true/false, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions.
- Problem-solving and collaborative (group) activities emphasize the importance of teamwork in the healthcare field.
- Case studies ask you to solve a real-world problem related to health insurance, such as completing a CMS-1500 claim form or explaining how HIPAA could affect someone recently out of work.
- Application exercises ask you to apply your knowledge and skills to real-world situations.
- In-class projects and discussion topics enhance your understanding of specific content from the text.
- Internet Exploration exercises in each chapter help you learn how to perform research online.
- Defining Chapter Terms activities help you review and understand the key terms in each chapter.
- NEW! Up-to-date information is included on all topics, including key topics like Medicare.
- NEW and expanded case studies and Internet Exploration activities are added.
- NEW! Additional performance objectives are included, using practice management software.
- NEW! Updated charts and forms are included.
Unit 1: Building a Foundation
1. The Origins of Health Insurance
2. Tools of the Trade: A Career as a Health (Medical) Insurance Professional
3. The Legal and Ethical Side of Medical Insurance
4. Types and Sources of Health Insurance
Unit 2: Health Insurance Basics
5. Claim Submission Methods
6. Traditional Fee-for-Service/Private Plans
7. Unraveling the Mysteries of Managed Care
8. Understanding Medicaid
9. Conquering Medicare’s Challenges
10. Military Carriers
11. Miscellaneous Carriers: Workers’ Compensation and Disability Insurance
Unit 3: Cracking the Codes
12. Diagnostic Coding
13. Procedural, Evaluation and Management, and HCPCS Coding
Unit 4: The Claims Process
14. The Patient
15. Keys to Successful Claims Management
Unit 5: Advanced Application
16. The Role of Computers in Health Insurance
17. Reimbursement Procedures: Getting Paid
18. Hospital Billing and the UB-04
Appendix A: Sample Blank CMS-1500 (02-12)
Appendix B: CMS-1500 Claim Forms and Completion Instructions
Appendix C: UB-04 Claim Form and Completion Instructions
Janet I. Beik, AA, BA, MEd, Southeastern Community College (retired), Administrative Instructor, Medical Assistant Program, West Burlington, Iowa and Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin