Understanding Pathophysiology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Make difficult pathophysiology concepts come to life for your students! Filled with vibrant illustrations, simplified language, and detailed online content Understanding Pathophysiology, 7th Edition delivers the most accurate information on treatments, manifestations, and mechanisms of disease across the lifespan. This new edition is fully revised and includes coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics to provide undergraduate and graduate students with a thorough understanding of conditions affecting the human body. Plus, with over 30 new 3D animations on the companion Evolve site, quick check boxes at the end of each chapter, and disease progression algorithms, this text engages your students to develop the fundamental knowledge they need to succeed in their nursing education and in practice.
- Student resources include animations, review questions, answers to the Quick Check boxes (featured in the text), chapter summary reviews, and case study with answers for select chapters.
- Algorithms throughout the text clarify disease progression.
- Did You Know boxes highlight new developments in biologic research, diagnostic studies, preventive care, treatments, and more.
- Quick Check boxes tests your retention of important chapter concepts.
- Risk Factor boxes alert you to important safety considerations associated with specific diseases.
- Summary Review sections provide fast, efficient review of chapter content.
- Geriatric Considerations boxes and Pediatric Considerations boxes highlight key considerations for these demographics in relevant chapters.
- Consistent presentation helps you to better distinguish pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment for each disease.
- Glossary of approximately 1,000 terms familiarizes you with the most difficult or important terminology related to pathophysiology.
- NEW! Chapters on Alterations in Immunity and Obesity and Disorders of Nutrition feature the latest coverage of these hot topics.
- NEW! Additional coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics gives you a comprehensive understanding of conditions and cell growths that affect the human body.
- NEW! Streamlined content and illustrations ensures content is at an appropriate level for undergraduate students.
- NEW! More than 1000 illustrations in the text and 30+ new 3D animations on companion Evolve site bring difficult concepts to life for a new perspective on disease processes.
PART ONE: BASIC CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY
Unit 1: The Cell 1. Cellular Biology 2. Genes and Genetic Diseases 3. Epigenetics and Disease 4. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology 5. Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit 2: Mechanisms of Self-Defense 6. Innate Immunity: Inflammation and Wound Healing 7. Adaptive Immunity 8. Alterations in Immunity NEW 9. Infection and Defects in Mechanisms of Defense 10. Stress and Disease
Unit 3: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer 11. Biology of Cancer 12. Cancer Epidemiology 13. Cancer in Children and Adolescents
PART TWO: BODY SYSTEMS AND DISEASES
Unit 4: The Neurologic System 14. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System 15. Pain, Temperature, Sleep, and Sensory Function 16. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function 17. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and Neuromuscular Junction 18. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit 5: The Endocrine System 19. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation 20. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation 21. Obesity and Disorders of Nutrition NEW
Unit 6: The Hematologic System 22. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System 23. Alterations of Hematologic Function 24. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
Unit 7: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 25. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 26. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function 27. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
Unit 8: The Pulmonary System 28. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System 29. Alterations of Pulmonary Function 30. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
Unit 9: The Renal and Urologic Systems 31. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems 32. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function 33. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
Unit 10: The Reproductive Systems 34. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems 35. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System 36. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System
Unit 11: The Digestive System 37. Structure and Function of the Digestive System 38. Alterations of Digestive Function 39. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
Unit 12: The Musculoskeletal and Integumentary Systems 40. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System 41. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function 42. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children 43. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument 44. Alterations of the Integument in Children
Sue E. Huether, MS, PhD, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT and Kathryn L. McCance, MS, PhD, Professor, College of Nursing, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT