Communication in Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Immerse yourself in the ideas, theories, and techniques of effective communication in the workplace! Communication in Nursing, 9th Edition adopts a uniquely practical and personal approach to the demands of today’s nursing practice, providing extensive examples, exercises, and techniques that help you to apply communication skills in a variety of clinical settings. Using a conversational tone, this relatable text takes you beyond theory to show you how to understand important concepts and use communication as a tool to limit stress in your nursing practice. The 9th edition includes a new chapter which focuses on the foundation of communication and personality assessment. It also includes a new Putting it into Practice feature to help you apply your new communication skills in the work environment. In addition, updates on the topics of mindfulness, resilience, and inter-collaborative communication highlight the importance of implementing these tools in practice.
- Active Learning features in every chapter promotes active, goal-directed reading.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes present selected verses and quotations relevant to chapter topics, adding interest and humor. These boxes provide moments of relief from serious topics and "a-ha" moments when theory becomes linked to practice.
- End-of-chapter exercises help you to master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
- QSEN preface and exercises stress how communication impacts safety and quality of care.
- Discusses the importance of interprofessional education and communication in the healthcare environment.
- Addresses the importance of "presence" in nursing — being present for clients, families, colleagues, and self.
- NEW! Starting with You chapter focuses on personality assessment using the Gallup CliftonStrengths among additional assessment methods.
- Two chapters have been combined to create a new one titled, Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with "Difficult" Clients and Colleagues, to help you better address aggressive and difficult clients and colleagues.
- UPDATED! Navigating the Expanding World of Digital Communication and Understanding Each Other chapters have been extensively updated to reflect most recent information.
- NEW! Chapter exercises incorporate teaching strategies such as cinemeducation and medical improvisation to help facilitate various learning types.
- UPDATED! Topics of mindfulness, resilience, and inter-collaborative communication have been incorporated throughout.
- NEW! Additional examples incorporated into Moments of Connection boxes highlight beneficial outcomes of successful communication and provide concrete examples of how communication techniques work.
Part 1: Packing Your Bags for the Journey of Caring, Assertive, Responsible Communication
1. Responsible, Assertive, Caring Communication in Nursing 2. The Client–Nurse Relationship: A Helping Relationship 3. Starting with YOU: Understanding Yourself to Build a Foundation for Learning 4. Solving Problems Together 5. Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture Part 2: Honoring Your Fellow Travelers along the Journey 6. Demonstrating Warmth 7. Showing Respect 8. Being Genuine 9. Being Empathetic 10. Using Self-Disclosure 11. Being Specific 12. Asking Questions 13. Expressing Opinions 14. Using Humor 15. Embracing the Spiritual Journey of Healthcaring: Meaning Making Part 3: Developing Road-Worthy Practices along the Journey 16. Requesting Support 17. Overcoming Evaluation Anxiety 18. Working with Feedback 19. Using Relaxation Techniques 20. Incorporating Imagery in Professional Practice and Self Care 21. Incorporating Positive Self-Talk 22. Learning to Work Together in Groups 23. Navigating the Expanding World of Digital Communication
Part 4: Embracing the Transformative Process of the Journey 24. Learning Confrontation Skills 25. Refusing Unreasonable Requests 26. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with Distressed Clients and Colleagues 27. Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with “Difficult Clients and Colleagues 28. Managing Team Conflict Assertively and Responsibly 29. Communicating at the End of Life 30. Continuing the Commitment to the Journey
Julia Balzer Riley, RN, MN, AHN-BC, REACE, President, Constant Source Seminars, Ellenton, FL