Introduction to Physical Therapy - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Give your students an insightful and thorough overview of both the profession and the practice of physical therapy with Introduction to Physical Therapy, 6th Edition. This comprehensive text walks students through the key aspects of a career in physical therapy — including role of the physical therapist and physical therapist assistant, practice settings, the APTA, and laws, policies, and regulations — and then goes on to detail the practice of physical therapy and the functions, disorders, and therapies of the major organ systems. The sixth edition features a new chapter on prevention, health promotion, and wellness in physical therapy practice; as well as updated content, references, and coverage of the latest trends in health care. Paired with an abundance of learning aides like learning objectives, chapter outlines, review questions, and more; this highly visual text gives students the complete foundation they need to successfully grow their professional knowledge and skills.
- Overview of the profession combined with clinical information gives readers a solid foundation in the practice of physical therapy.
- Chapter on reimbursement covers the fiscal aspects of health care and how reimbursement affects the profession.
- Chapter on communication and cultural competence describes how cultural differences influence patient interaction and helps the PTA and PT understand behavior due to cultural differences.
- Numerous learning aides include chapter outlines, key terms, learning objectives, questions to ask, boxes, tables, summaries and up to date references, suggested readings and review questions.
- NEW! New chapter on prevention, health promotion, and wellness in physical therapist practice reflects the growing importance in the physical therapy profession.
- NEW! Revised content and updated references throughout the text ensures content is the most current and applicable for today’s PT and PTA professionals.
- NEW! The latest information on current trends in health care and the profession of physical therapy keeps readers current on the latest issues.
Section 1: Profession 1. The Profession of Physical Therapy: Definition and Development 2. Roles and Characteristics of Physical Therapists 3. The Physical Therapist Assistant 4. American Physical Therapy Association 5. Laws, Regulations, and Policies 6. Financing Health Care and Reimbursement in Physical Therapist Practice 7. Effective Communication for Physical Therapists in the Twenty-First Century
Section 2: Practice 8. Prevention, Health Promotion, and Wellness in Physical Therapist Practice 9. Physical Therapy for Musculoskeletal Conditions 10. Physical Therapy for Neuromuscular Conditions 11. Physical Therapy in Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Conditions 12. Physical Therapy for Integumentary Conditions 13. Physical Therapy for Pediatric Conditions 14. Physical Therapy for the Older Adult
Michael A. Pagliarulo, PT, EdD, Associate Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY