Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Prepare veterinary technician students for the care of critically ill or injured pets! Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition provides quick access to dozens of common, life-saving protocols and procedures. Each treatment technique is described in step-by-step detail and illustrated in full color. To reflect the veterinary setting, a team approach is emphasized. This edition adds three new chapters and includes practical, easy-to-apply medical math and scenario-based exercises. With even more exercises on the Evolve companion website, this resource offers students the practice they need to succeed on the VTNE, in veterinary practice, and in animal hospital emergency departments.
- Step-by-step instructions show how to perform specific procedures and techniques, guiding you through key assessment and treatment techniques.
- Technician Notes highlight specific procedures, with diagrams, photos, and detailed instructions, providing at-a-glance guidance for students and practicing vet techs.
- Comprehensive coverage of pain management, respiratory emergencies, and urologic emergencies provides cutting-edge treatment options for a wide variety of commonly seen presenting problems.
- Review and preparation for the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Examination) is provided by Medical Math exercises and questions based on real-world scenarios.
- Coverage of equipment and techniques includes the latest advances in basic lab equipment, fluid therapy, and oxygen therapy.
- Equipment lists are provided at the beginning of most chapters, ensuring that you will have the appropriate tools on hand for each type of emergency situation. Practical exercises prepare you for success on the VTNE.
- NEW! Three new chapters are included: Supporting the Critically Ill or Injured through Physical Rehabilitation Techniques, Fostering Wellbeing in the ER and ICU, and Managing Pharmaceuticals in the ER.
- NEW! Chapter pretests assess your knowledge and allow you to identify your strengths and weaknesses.
- NEW and UPDATED photos and illustrations enhance your understanding by accurately depicting the clinical signs encountered in emergency and critical care.
SECTION I: Critically Ill Small Animals
1. Critical Thinking – Skill of Observation and Interpretation
2. Monitoring of the Critically Ill or Injured Patient
3. Patient's Lifeline: Intravenous Catheter
4. Fluid Therapy
5. Transfusion Medicine
6. Nutritional Support for the Critically Ill Patient
7. Oxygen Therapy Techniques
8. Mechanical Ventilation
9. Pain Assessment and Treatment
10. Supporting the Critically Ill or Injured through Physical Rehabilitation Techniques NEW!
11. Anesthesia in the Critically Ill or Injured
12. Isolation Techniques in Clinical Practice
SECTION II: Emergency Care for Small Animals
13. Emergency Receiving
14. Management of Patients in Shock
15. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation: Current Practice
16. Traumatic Emergencies
17. Hematologic Emergencies
18. Cardiovascular Emergencies
19. Respiratory Emergencies
20. Gastrointestinal Emergencies
21. Metabolic and Endocrine Emergencies
22. Urologic Emergencies
23. Reproductive Emergencies
24. Ocular Emergencies
25. Neurologic Emergencies
26. Toxicologic Emergencies
27. Avian and Exotic Emergencies
28. Disaster Medicine
SECTION III: Practice Management
29. Fostering Wellbeing in the ER and ICU NEW!
30. The Art of Scheduling
31. Client Communication in an Emergency
32. Managing Pharmaceuticals in the ER NEW!
Andrea M. Battaglia, LVT, Hospital Operations Director, Veterinary Specialty Center, Animal Emergency Center of CNY, Spencer, NY and Andrea M. Steele