Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Prepare your students to calculate dosages accurately and administer drugs safely! Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians, 6th Edition shows students how to determine drug dosages, administer prescribed drugs to animals, and instruct clients about side effects and precautions. Coverage of drugs includes pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse effects. An Evolve companion website offers animations of pharmacologic processes, practice with dosage calculations, and more. This trusted resource provides the pharmacology knowledge your students need to succeed as veterinary technicians!
- Quick-access format makes it easy to find important drug information, including clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse side effects.
- Body systems organization follows a logical sequence of study.
- Illustrated, step-by-step procedures demonstrate proper administration techniques for common drug forms.
- Key terms, chapter outlines, Notes boxes, and learning objectives focus your learning and make studying easier.
- Proprietary drug names are listed with the generic drug names, highlighting drugs that have generic options.
- Companion Evolve website includes drug dosage calculators with accompanying word problems, animations of pharmacologic processes, and dosage calculation exercises.
- Dosage calculation exercises provide practice immediately after new information is presented.
- Review questions reinforce your understanding of key concepts, with answers located in the back of the book.
- Technician Notes provide useful hints and important reminders to help you avoid common errors and increase your efficiency on the job.
- NEW! Emergency Drugs chapter is added.
- UPDATED drug information keeps you current with the newest pharmacologic agents and their uses, adverse side effects, and dosage forms.
- NEW! Case studies at the end of every chapter introduce real-world scenarios.
1. General Pharmacology
2. Routes and Techniques of Drug Administration
3. Practical Calculations
4. Drugs Used in Nervous System Disorders
5. Drugs Used in Respiratory System Disorders
6. Drugs Used in Renal and Urinary Tract Disorders
7. Drugs Used in Cardiovascular System Disorders
8. Drugs Used in Gastrointestinal System Disorders
9. Drugs Used in Hormonal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Disorders
10. Drugs Used in Ophthalmic and Otic Disorders
11. Drugs Used in Skin Disorders
12. Anti-infective Drugs
13. Antiparasitic Drugs
14. Drugs Used to Relieve Pain and Inflammation
15. Therapeutic Nutritional, Fluid, and Electrolyte Replacements
16. Blood-Modifying, Antineoplastic, and Immunosuppressant Drugs
17. Immunologic Drugs
18. Miscellaneous Therapeutic Agents
19. Inventory: The Veterinary Technician's Role
20. Emergency Drugs NEW!
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in Veterinary Medicine
Appendix B: Weights and Measures
Appendix C: Antidotes
Appendix D: Common Drugs: Approximate Dosages
Appendix E: Listing of Drugs According to Functional and Therapeutic Classification
Appendix F: Controlled Substances Information Summary
Lisa Martini-Johnson, DVM, CVT, Professor, Director; Veterinary Technician Program; Lehigh Carbon and Northampton Community Colleges