Elsevier's Veterinary Assisting Textbook, 3rd Edition
Prepare students for the role and responsibilities of the veterinary assistant! From respected veterinary educator Margi Sirois, Elsevier’s Veterinary Assisting Textbook, 3rd Edition covers everything students need to know to pass the Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA) exam and succeed in clinical practice. With this comprehensive textbook students will learn to assist in laboratory and radiographic procedures, properly restrain animals, set up equipment and supplies, clean and maintain practice facilities, feed and exercise patients, collect samples, handle and dispense medications, groom patients, and record keeping. Updated content reflects the latest advances in veterinary assisting procedures, and new images illustrate key tasks.
- Comprehensive coverage provides details on the tasks performed by veterinary assistants, and covers everything you need to know to pass the Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA) exam and succeed in clinical practice.
- Step-by-step instructions and hundreds of full-color photographs show veterinary assisting tasks and clarify key concepts.
- Information on office procedures and client relations prepares you to be involved in many of the business aspects of veterinary practice and to work closely with management staff.
- Coverage of the workflow in a veterinary practice helps you understand your role as well as the roles of all the other members of the veterinary health care team.
- Critical Concept boxes highlight important points and provide useful tips to improve your knowledge and skills.
- A student workbook provides activities to help you apply concepts to veterinary practice, including definitions of key terms, review questions, crossword puzzles, illustration labeling, sample cases, and clinical applications. Available separately.
- NEW! Completely updated content throughout reflects the latest advances in veterinary assisting procedures for improved patient service.
- NEW! Fear-free handling coverage now included in Chapter 6: Animal Behavior and Restraint.
- NEW! Poultry Care section added to Chapter 13: Large Animal Nursing and Husbandry.
- NEW and UPDATED! Additional and revised images throughout accurately illustrate key veterinary assisting tasks.
1.Overview of the Veterinary Profession
2.Office Procedures and Client Relations
4.Animal Behavior and Restraint
5.Animal Husbandry and Nutrition
6.Animal Care and Nursing
7.Anatomy and Physiology
8.Pharmacology and Pharmacy
9.Anesthesia and Surgical Assisting
12.Avian and Exotic Animal Care and Nursing
13.Large Animal Nursing and Husbandry
A: Normal Physiologic Data in Adult Dogs and Cats
B: Summary of Lengths of Estrous Cycle and Gestation Periods in Dogs and Cats
C: Normal Daily Urine Production for Dogs and Cats
D: Normal Blood Gas Values
E: Normal Heart Rate and Blood Pressure in Dogs and Cats
F: Hematology Reference Range Values
G: Normal Chemistry Values
H: Normal Urinalysis Findings
I: Hemostasis Reference Range Values
J: Veterinary Assistant Model Curriculum Association of Veterinary Technician Educators
K: Policy on Assistant Training Curriculum Approval
Margi Sirois, EdD, MS, RVT, CVT, LAT, VTES, Consultant