Study Guide for Lilley's Pharmacology for Canadian Health Care Practice, 4th Edition
Help ensure your students’ mastery of need-to-know Canadian pharmacology nursing principles with the Study Guide for Lilley’s Pharmacology for Canadian Health Care Practice, 4th Edition. Designed to accompany the Lilley’s Pharmacology for Canadian Health Care Practice 4th Edition textbook, this dynamic study guide helps students better understand, retain, and apply the information and concepts from each chapter of the text. Worksheets for each chapter include multiple-choice questions, critical thinking and application questions, case studies, plus a wealth of other learning activities to fully prepare students for their credentialing exams.
- Chapter review and examination preparation is included in each chapter worksheet and contains a number of application-based NCLEX® style practice questions, including at least one alternate-item question per chapter.
- Focus on prioritization features at least one prioritization exercise in which you must evaluate a clinical scenario and answer the question: "What is the nurse’s best action?" These exercises provide practice in identifying the most important, need-to-know nursing actions.
- Overview of Dosage Calculations section features explanations of key drug calculations concepts, sample drug labels, practice problems, and a practice quiz.
- UNIQUE! Cartoon-illustrated study tips expands upon the study skills tips that are included on the accompanying Evolve site.
- Answers for all exercises are provided at the back of the book to facilitate self-study.
- Chapter-by-chapter worksheets are divided into three main sections: chapter review and examination preparation; critical thinking and application questions; and case studies.
- Question variety includes fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, labelling and ordering, matching, and short answer.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated content reflects the organization and updated information housed in the fourth edition of Lilley’s Pharmacology for Canadian Health Care Practice.
STUDENT STUDY TIPS
Part One: Pharmacology Basics 1. Nursing Practice in Canada and Drug Therapy 2. Pharmacological Principles 3. Legal and Ethical Considerations 4. Patient-Focused Considerations 5. Gene Therapy and Pharmacogenomics 6. Medication Errors: Preventing and Responding 7. Patient Education and Drug Therapy 8. Over-the-Counter Drugs and Natural Health Products 9. Vitamins and Minerals 10. Principles of Drug Administration Part Two: Drugs Affecting the Central Nervous System 11. Analgesic Drugs 12. General and Local Anaesthetics 13. Central Nervous System Depressants and Muscle Relaxants 14. Central Nervous System Stimulants and Related Drugs 15. Antiepileptic Drugs 16. Antiparkinsonian Drugs 17. Psychotherapeutic Drugs 18. Substance Misuse Part Three: Drugs Affecting the Autonomic Nervous System 19. Adrenergic Drugs 20. Adrenergic-Blocking Drugs 21. Cholinergic Drugs 22. Cholinergic-Blocking Drugs Part Four: Drugs Affecting the Cardiovascular and Renal Systems 23. Antihypertensive Drugs 24. Antianginal Drugs 25. Heart Failure Drugs 26. Antidysrhythmic Drugs 27. Coagulation Modifier Drugs 28. Antilipemic Drugs 29. Diuretic Drugs 30. Fluids and Electrolytes Part Five: Drugs Affecting the Endocrine System 31. Pituitary Drugs 32. Thyroid and Antithyroid Drugs 33. Antidiabetic Drugs 34. Adrenal Drugs 35. Women's Health Drugs 36. Men's Health Drugs Part Six: Drugs Affecting the Respiratory System 37. Antihistamines, Decongestants, Antitussives, and Expectorants 38. Respiratory Drugs Part Seven: Drugs Affecting the Gastrointestinal System and Nutrition 39. Acid-Controlling Drugs 40. Antidiarrheal Drugs and Laxatives 41. Antiemetic and Antinausea Drugs 42. Nutritional Supplements Part Eight: Anti-infective and Anti-inflammatory Drugs 43. Antibiotics Part 1: Sulfonamides, Penicillins, Cephalosporins, Macrolides, and Tetracyclines 44. Antibiotics Part 2: Aminoglycosides, Fluoroquinolones, and Other Drugs 45. Antiviral Drugs 46. Antitubercular Drugs 47. Antifungal Drugs 48. Antimalarial, Antiprotozoal, and Anthelmintic Drugs 49. Anti-inflammatory and Antigout Drugs Part Nine: Immune and Biological Modifiers and Chemotherapeutic Drugs 50. Immunosuppressant Drugs 51. Immunizing Drugs and Pandemic Preparedness 52. Antineoplastic Drugs Part 1: Cancer Overview and Cell Cycle - Specific Drugs 53. Antineoplastic Drugs Part 2: Cell Cycle - Nonspecific and Miscellaneous Drugs 54. Biological Response - Modifying Drugs and Antirheumatic Drugs Part Ten: Miscellaneous Therapeutics: Hematological, Dermatological, Ophthalmic, and Otic Drugs 55. Anemia Drugs 56. Dermatological Drugs 57. Ophthalmic Drugs 58. Otic Drugs OVERVIEW OF DOSAGE CALCULATIONS
ANSWERS (to worksheets and overview of dosage calculations)
Kara Sealock, RN, BN, MEd, EdD, Instructor, University of Calgary and Cydnee Seneviratne, RN, BScN, MN, PhD, University of Calgary, Faculty of Nursing