Elsevier’s Canadian Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN Examination, 2nd Edition
Prepare for success on the NCLEX-RN® exam with the review book written for Canadian nursing students! Elsevier’s Canadian Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 2nd Edition provides everything you need to prepare for the NCLEX® exam — complete content review and more than 5,000 NCLEX examination-style questions in the book and online. Proving that not all NCLEX exam review books are the same, only this book includes the kinds of questions that consistently test the critical thinking skills needed to pass today's NCLEX exam. In addition, all answers include detailed rationales and test-taking strategies with tips on how to best approach each question. From Canadian editors Patricia Bradley and Karin Page-Cutrara, and NCLEX review experts Linda Anne Silvestri and Angela Silvestri, this edition integrates Canadian approaches to nursing, making this the only comprehensive review text written from a fully Canadian perspective. It’s THE book of choice for NCLEX preparation!
- More than 5,000 practice questions in the text and online offer ample testing practice.
- UNIQUE! Detailed test-taking strategy and rationale is included for each question, offering clues for analyzing and uncovering the correct answer option.
- UNIQUE! Priority Nursing Action boxes provide information about the steps you will take in clinical situations requiring clinical judgement and prioritization.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Points icons indicate important information, identifying content that typically appears on the NCLEX-RN® examination.
- UNIQUE! Pyramid Alerts appear in red text and highlight important nursing concepts.
- UNIQUE! Priority Concepts — two in each chapter — discuss important content and nursing interventions.
- New graduate’s perspective is offered on how to prepare for the NCLEX-RN, in addition to nonacademic preparation, the CAT format, and test-taking strategies.
- Mnemonics are included to help you remember important information.
- 75-question comprehensive exam covers all content areas in the book in the same percentages that they are covered on the actual NCLEX-RN test plan.
- Practice questions on delegation, prioritization, and triage/disaster management emphasize these areas on the NCLEX exam.
- Companion Evolve website provides 25 new Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN)-style questions plus all alternate item format questions including multiple response, prioritizing (ordered response), fill-in-the-blank, figure/illustration (hot spot), chart/exhibit, video, and audio questions.
- Question categories on Evolve are organized by cognitive level, client needs area, integrated process, and content area, allowing completely customizable exams or study sessions.
- UNIQUE! Audio review summaries on Evolve cover pharmacology, acid-base balance, and fluids and electrolytes.
- NEW! Fully revised update from a Canadian perspective reflects Canadian approaches to nursing and health care, including the addition of the latest Canadian statistics, research, legislation, regulations, references, clinical practice guidelines, and more.
- NEW! Thoroughly updated nursing content incorporates clinical updates and reflects the latest NCLEX-RN® test plan, with content including an introduction to the Next Generation NCLEX®, a test-taking strategy guide, a focus on the Canadian health care system and interprofessional collaboration, care and health risk assessment of diverse Canadian populations, a new section on anemia, and ethical and legal issues with Canadian terms and legal references.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN)-style sample questions are provided on the Evolve website.
- NEW Complex Care chapter includes information on shock, critical care, and more.
- NEW! Health Problem label is included with practice questions to help you focus your study on particular topics.
- NEW! Reference to a Canadian Elsevier nursing textbook is provided for most questions, suggesting resources for further study and self-remediation.
UNIT I: NCLEX-RN® Exam Preparation
1. The NCLEX-RN Examination
2. Pathways to Success
3. The NCLEX-RN Examination From a Graduate’s Perspective
4. Test-Taking Strategies
UNIT II: Professional Standards in Nursing
5. Care of Diverse Populations
6. Ethical and Legal Issues
7. Prioritizing Client Care: Leadership, Delegating, and Emergency Response Planning
UNIT III: Foundations of Care
8. Fluids and Electrolytes
9. Acid-Base Balance
10. Vital Signs and Laboratory Reference Intervals
12. Health and Physical Assessment of the Adult Client
13. Provision of a Safe Environment
14. Calculation of Medication and Intravenous Prescriptions
15. Perioperative Nursing Care
16. Positioning Clients
UNIT IV: Growth and Development Across the Life Span
17. Theories of Growth and Development
18. Growth, Development, and Stages of Life
19. Care of the Older Client
UNIT V: Maternity Nursing
20. Reproductive System
21. Prenatal Period
22. Risk Conditions Related to Pregnancy
23. Labour and Birth
24. Complications of Labour and Birth
25. Postpartum Period
26. Postpartum Complications
27. Care of the Newborn
28. Maternity and Newborn Medications
UNIT VI: Pediatric Nursing
29. Integumentary Conditions
30. Hematological Conditions
31. Oncological Conditions
32. Metabolic and Endocrine Conditions
33. Gastrointestinal Conditions
34. Eye, Ear, and Throat Conditions
35. Respiratory Conditions
36 Cardiovascular Conditions
37. Renal and Genitourinary Conditions
38. Neurological and Cognitive Conditions
39. Musculoskeletal Conditions
40. Infections and Communicable Diseases
41. Pediatric Medication Administration and Calculations
UNIT VII: Integumentary Conditions in the Adult Client
42. Integumentary Conditions
43. Integumentary Medications
UNIT VIII: Oncological and Hematological Conditions in the Adult Client
44. Oncological and Hematological Conditions
45 Oncological and Hematological Medications
UNIT IX: Endocrine Conditions in the Adult Client
46. Endocrine Conditions
47. Endocrine Medications
UNIT X: Gastrointestinal Conditions in the Adult Client
48. Gastrointestinal Conditions
49. Gastrointestinal Medications
UNIT XI: Respiratory Conditions in the Adult Client
50. Respiratory Conditions
51. Respiratory Medications
UNIT XII: Cardiovascular Conditions in the Adult Client
52. Cardiovascular Conditions
53. Cardiovascular Medications
UNIT XIII: Renal and Genitourinary Conditions in the Adult Client
54. Renal and Genitourinary Conditions
55. Renal and Genitourinary Medications
UNIT XIV: Eye and Ear Conditions in the Adult Client
56. The Eye and the Ear
57. Eye and Ear Medications
UNIT XV: Neurological Conditions in the Adult Client
58. Neurological Conditions
59. Neurological Medications
UNIT XVI: Musculoskeletal Conditions in the Adult Client
60. Musculoskeletal Conditions
61. Musculoskeletal Medications
UNIT XVII: Immune Conditions in the Adult Client
62. Immune Conditions
63. Immunological Medications
UNIT XVIII: Mental Health in the Adult Client
64. Foundations of Mental Health Nursing
65. Mental Health
67 Crisis Theory and Intervention
68. Psychiatric Medications
UNIT XIX: Complex Care
69. Complex Care
UNIT XX: Comprehensive Test
Appendix A: Canadian Regulators and Associated Regulatory and Exam Resources
Appendix B: Canadian Nursing Professional Resources
Linda Anne Silvestri, PhD, RN, FAAN, Nursing Instructor, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Nursing, Las Vegas, Nevada; President and Owner, Nursing Reviews, Inc., Henderson, Nevada; Director and Owner, Professional Nursing Seminars, Inc., Henderson, Nevada; Elsevier, Author of NCLEX Review Resources, Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Subject Matter Expert and Consultant, Angela E. Silvestri, PhD, APRN, FNP-BC, CNE, Associate Professor & BSN Program Director, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, School of Nursing, Las Vegas, Nevada., Patricia A. Bradley, MEd, PhD, RN, CCNE, Associate Professor
Coordinator, Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN) Program
Faculty of Health
Toronto, Ontario and Karin L. Page-Cutrara, PhD, RN, CCNE, CCSNE, Associate Professor, Teaching Stream, School of Nursing,York University