McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses, 10th Edition
Help your students master all the animal care duties of a veterinary technician! McCurnin's Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses, 10th Edition provides a solid foundation in every aspect of veterinary technology, including care of small and large animals, birds, reptiles, and small mammals. Procedure boxes offer step-by-step guidelines to performing key tasks, and use of the veterinary technician practice model helps to improve critical thinking and decision-making skills. The cornerstone text in Vet Tech education, this illustrated guide prepares students for success on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE®) and in clinical practice.
- 2017 winner of the William Holmes McGuffey Longevity Award ("McGuffey") from the Text & Academic Authors Association (TAA), which recognizes textbooks and learning materials whose excellence has been demonstrated over time.
- Case presentations provide real-life scenarios, so students can practice critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Step-by-step instructions show students how to perform dozens of procedures, making information easy to access in emergency and clinical situations.
- More than 1,000 full-color photographs and line drawings depict veterinary technology concepts and techniques.
- Chapter outline, learning objectives, and key terms begin each chapter, focusing study on need-to-know material.
- Technician Notes highlight key points relating to the role of the veterinary technician.
- Coverage of large animal care is integrated throughout the book, including medical records, dentistry, physical examination, surgical instrumentation, surgical assistance, emergency care, and euthanasia, as well as separate Large Animal chapters.
- Comprehensive chapters on pharmacology, pain management, restraint, and veterinary oncology provide a broader understanding of the responsibilities of a technician.
- Coverage of zoonotics is threaded throughout each chapter, describing how a disease may affect the host, how it is spread, how it is treated, and the necessary safety precautions.
- Care of Birds, Reptiles, and Small Mammals chapter describes care and treatment of these increasingly popular pets.
- Student workbook reinforces understanding with review questions, case presentations, and clinical applications, as well as photo-based quizzes and other student exercises. Available separately.
Part One: Veterinary Technology: An Overview
1. Introduction to Veterinary Technology: Its Laws and Ethics
2. Veterinary Practice Management
3. Veterinary Medical Records
4. Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Hospitals
Part Two: Patient Management and Nutrition
5. Animal Behavior
6. Restraint and Handling of Animals
7. History and Physical Examination
8. Preventive Health Programs
9. Companion Animal Nutrition
10. Large Animal Nutrition
11. Animal Reproduction
Part Three: Clinical Sciences
12. Hematology, Cytology
13. Clinical Chemistry, Serology and Urinalysis
15. Clinical Microbiology
16. Diagnostic Imaging
17. Basic Necropsy Procedures
Part Four: Medical Nursing
18. Diagnostic Sampling and Treatment Techniques
19. Small Animal Medical Nursing
20. Large Animal Medical Nursing
21. Veterinary Oncology
22. Neonatal Care of Puppy, Kitten, and Foal
23. Care of Birds, Reptiles and Small Mammals
24. Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation, and Alternative Medical Nursing
Part Five: Emergency and Critical Care
25. Fluid Therapy and Transfusion Medicine
26. Emergency & Critical Care Nursing
28. Wound Management and Bandaging
Part Six: Anesthesia, Analgesia, and Pharmacology
29. Pharmacology and Pharmacy
30. Pain Management
31. Veterinary Anesthesia
Part Seven: Surgical Nursing
32. Surgical instruments and Aseptic Technique
33. Surgical Assistance and Suture Material
34. Small Animal Surgical Nursing
35. Large Animal Surgical Nursing
36. Veterinary Dentistry
Part Eight: End of Life
37. Geriatric and Hospice Care: Supporting the Aged and Dying Patient
38. The Human Animal Bond and Euthanasia
Joanna M. Bassert, VMD, Professor Emeritus Program of Veterinary Technology Manor College Jenkintown, PA