Student Workbook for Modern Dental Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 13th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Reinforce the knowledge and skills demanded of today’s dental assistants with this companion workbook. Featuring reinforcement exercises and application activities that correspond chapter-by-chapter to the content covered in Bird & Robinson’s Modern Dental Assisting, 13th Edition, this workbook gives students the practice they need to master both dental assisting concepts and practical office skills. The workbook comes with original practice management exercises that correspond to the Dentrix software available on Evolve. Also included are ample content review questions, case applications with questions, competency skills evaluation sheets for practice with dental assisting procedures, and a review of video procedures located on the text’s companion website.
- Seamless content correlation utilizes activities and exercises that reinforce the chapter content that you are currently learning in the main text.
- Practice and review questions for each chapter include short answer, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-choice, and labeling questions to help reinforce your understanding of terminology and concepts.
- Competency skill checklists provide clear guidelines for performing each dental assisting skill and help your evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, with pages perforated so that you can detach individual skill sheets for use in clinical settings.
- Dental assisting externship provides information and resources to support practicum.
- Patient case exercises use patients on the companion Evolve website’s Interactive Dental Office and include medical and dental histories, radiographs, and charting to help you solve problems relating to patient health issues.
- Video review sections visually reinforce your understanding of text material.
- NEW! Information on cultural diversity grounds you in this important topic and how it relates to patient care and patient communication.
- NEW! Coverage of the latest advances in general and specialty dental care matches the updates in the text and addresses technological advancements, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and more.
- NEW! Updated diagrams and visual exercises enable you to expand your visual knowledge.
- UPDATED! Removable flashcards summarize key information about the sciences, medical emergencies, infection control, radiography, dental materials, dental instruments, and dental procedures, offering convenient, on-the-go review and exam preparation.
- NEW! Updated review questions, case applications, and exercises help reinforce your understanding of terminology and concepts from the main text.
PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession 1. History of Dentistry 2. The Professional Dental Assistant 3. The Dental Healthcare Team 4. Dental Ethics 5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry 6. General Anatomy 7. General Physiology 8. Oral Embryology and Histology 9. Head and Neck Anatomy 10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity 11. Overview of the Dentitions 12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease 13. Dental Caries 14. Periodontal Disease 15. Preventive Dentistry 16. Nutrition 17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry 18. Microbiology 19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention 20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection 21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization
PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety 22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies 23. Chemical and Waste Management 24. Dental Unit Waterlines 25. Ergonomics
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment 26. The Patient's Dental Record 27. Vital Signs 28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning 29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient 30. Principles of Pharmacology 31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry 32. The Dental Office 33. Delivering Dental Care 34. Dental Hand Instruments 35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories 36. Moisture Control 37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging 38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety 39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs 40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention 41. Intraoral Imaging 42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials 43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials 44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems 45. Dental Cements 46. Impression Materials and Techniques 47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures
PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care 48. General Dentistry 49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry 50. Fixed Prosthodontics 51. Provisional Coverage 52. Removable Prosthodontics 53. Dental Implants 54. Endodontics 55. Periodontics 56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 57. Pediatric Dentistry 58. Coronal Polishing 59. Dental Sealants 60. Orthodontics
PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills 61. Communication in the Dental Office 62. Business Operating Systems 63. Financial Management in the Dental Office 64. Marketing Your Skills
Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Former Director, Dental Education Programs, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California; Former Director, Dental Assisting Program University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Former Research Associate, Department of Nutrition Gillings School of Global Public Health University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, North Carolina