The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns and Stretching Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Prepare students with the clinical reasoning and clinical judgment skills needed for the workplace! The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns, and Stretching, 3rd Edition provides an in-depth guide to the art and science of palpation, along with clear instructions for massage assessment and treatment techniques. It describes how to palpate, how to stretch, and how to utilize trigger points, ensuring that students are ready for practice with coverage of ligaments, all major massage strokes and draping methods, and a thorough chapter on body mechanics. An Evolve website offers additional learning resources — including more than four hours of video demonstrating muscle palpations!
- Step-by-step muscle palpation coverage makes it easy to understand and remember each step of palpation techniques.
- UNIQUE! Coverage of stretching describes the role of stretching as part of effective treatment, with drawings of self-care stretches presented alongside therapist-assisted stretches.
- General muscle information includes attachments, actions, and a drawing of the individual muscle.
- Full-color photos and illustrations show palpation of muscles, exactly how the muscles look, and where the muscle is located underneath the skin as it is being palpated.
- Illustrations of trigger points and referral patterns make it easier to identify locations, showing where trigger points lie on the muscle and where pain radiates when an injury is felt.
- Coverage of bone palpation teaches you to identify and palpate bones and bony landmarks.
- Assessment and massage treatment strokes are shown in illustrations and in the Palpation Notes, moving you from theory and assessment to practical application.
- Case studies in each chapter emphasize critical thinking and clinical reasoning, allowing you to apply your knowledge to the practice setting.
- Deeper Thoughts questions challenge your reasoning skills.
- Measurable objectives at the start of each chapter identify key goals and are companied by a chapter overview, outline, and key terms.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Chapter on orthopedic assessment is added to this edition.
- NEW video lessons on the Evolve website feature Dr. Joe demonstrating bone and muscle palpation protocols.
PART 1: ASSESSMENT
Chapter 1: Introduction to Palpation
Chapter 2: The Art and Science of Muscle Palpation
Chapter 3: Orthopedic Assessment Testing
PART 2: TREATMENT TECHNIQUES
Chapter 4: Draping and Basic Massage Strokes
Chapter 5: Anatomy, Physiology, and Treatment of Trigger Points
Chapter 6: Stretching
Chapter 7: Body Mechanics for the Manual Therapist
PART 3: BONE PALPATION AND LIGAMENTS
Chapter 8: Upper Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments
Chapter 9: Axial Body Bone Palpation and Ligaments
Chapter 10: Lower Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments
PART 4: MUSCLE PALPITATION
Chapter 11: Tour #1: Palpation of the Muscles of the Shoulder Girdle
Chapter 12: Tour #2: Palpation of the Neck Muscles
Chapter 13: Tour #3: Palpation of the Muscles of the Head
Chapter 14: Tour #4: Palpation of the Muscles of the Arm
Chapter 15: Tour #5: Palpation of the Muscles of the Forearm
Chapter 16: Tour #6: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Hand
Chapter 17: Tour #7: Palpation of the Trunk Muscles
Chapter 18: Tour #8: Palpation of the Pelvic Muscles
Chapter 19: Tour #9: Palpation of the Thigh Muscles
Chapter 20: Tour #10: Palpation of the Leg Muscles
Chapter 21: Tour #11: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Foot
Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, New York; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, Connecticut