Nursing Research, 10th Edition
Providing a solid foundation in nursing research and evidence-based practice for both undergraduate and graduate nursing students, Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 10th Edition offers balanced coverage of both qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand approach that makes it a student favorite. This edition features new content on trending topics, including the Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN), as well as improved usability, student-friendly learning aids, and full-text research articles to help students better understand how to apply research to everyday clinical practice.
- Balanced coverage explores the nursing research process and the EBP process, as well as qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- User-friendly writing style and engaging learning aids throughout the text include full-text research examples, Helpful Hints, EBP Tips, IPE Highlights, Research Vignettes, Clinical Judgment Challenges, Critical Appraisal Criteria, and more!
- Innovative format integrates examples from current, high-quality, relevant full-text research articles.
- "All-star" team of contributors is a widely respected collection of experts in nursing research and EBP.
- NEW and UPDATED! Full-text research articles, including a population health study and a quality improvement study, serve as foundational examples throughout the text and Research Vignettes illustrate the types of high-quality research and evidence-based practice (EBP) projects that are driving advances in nursing practice.
- NEW! Content on trending topics includes:
- Precision science and tailored healthcare based on evidence
- Big data
- Secondary analysis
- Data collection using social media and technology
- Focus groups
- Descriptive qualitative methods
- Genetics, genomics, and "omics"
- Social determinants of health and population health
- Healthy People 2030
- The new U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Oral Health
- The NIH funding roadmap
- IPEC Core Competencies
- The opioid crisis
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) content introduces the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model and includes Clinical Judgment Challenges in each chapter to help prepare students for the NGN.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of the latest developments in the field includes:
- Content on research methods (scoping, rapid realist, etc.) and guidelines (evidence- versus expert-based) other than meta-analysis.
- Content on mixed-methods research that reflects the growing emphasis on mixed research methodologies.
- Content on quality improvement (including the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators [NDNQI], magnet status, and the Triple Aim) that addresses the growing importance of evidence-based quality improvement initiatives in clinical settings.
- NEW! Improved usability, with more illustrations, larger table type, increased use of bulleted text, enhanced readability, italicized in-text research examples for greater visibility, and better-aligned learning outcomes and chapter-ending key points make it easier for students to locate, understand, and retain information.
PART I. OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH AND EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE Research Vignette 1. Integrating Research, Evidence-Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes 2. Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions 3. Gathering and Appraising the Literature 4. Theoretical Frameworks for Research
PART II. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH Research Vignette
5. Introduction to Qualitative Research 6. Qualitative Approaches to Research 7. Appraising Qualitative Research
PART III. PROCESSES AND EVIDENCE RELATED TO QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH Research Vignette
8. Introduction to Quantitative Research 9. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs 10. Nonexperimental Designs 11. Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines 12. Sampling 13. Legal and Ethical Issues 14. Data Collection Methods 15. Reliability and Validity 16. Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics 17. Understanding Research Findings 18. Appraising Quantitative Research
PART IV. APPLICATION OF RESEARCH: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE Research Vignette
19. Strategies and Tools for Developing an Evidence-Based Practice 20. Developing an Evidence-Based Practice 21. Quality Improvement
Geri LoBiondo-Wood, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor, Director of PhD Nursing Program, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Nursing, Nursing Systems and Technology, Houston, Texas and Judith Haber, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor Emerita, Executive Director, Oral Health Nursing Education and Practice (OHNEP) Program, NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing, New York University, New York, New York