Root Strength Elsevier eBook on VitalSource ( Retail Access Card), 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Help your students build resilience and thrive in care professions! Root Strength: A Health and Care Professionals’ Guide to Minimizing Stress and Maximizing Thriving discusses principles of self-care that can help prevent emotional fatigue and job burnout in highly stressful workplaces. An evidence-based approach examines how the care professional can develop self-compassion, mindfulness, relationships with co-workers, and perceived satisfaction with one’s career. Especially timely today, this practical manual shows how students can apply these insights on the job and enhance their personal well-being in real-world health care settings. With the prevalence of mental health issues among care professionals — including rates of PTSD and major depressive disorder (MDD) — appearing much higher than that in the general population, never has a resource like this been more required!
- Focus on both theory and practice allows for self-assessment and the ability to build resilience and thrive, with concepts underpinned by research.
- UNIQUE! Journeys case studies highlight a care professional’s real-world experience/concerns, encouraging you to think about how you would handle the situation as you read through the chapter; the chapter closes with an effective method to handle the real-life situation, demonstrating how to apply the lessons learned.
- UNIQUE! Clear and conversational writing style and metaphorical roots/tree framework makes it easier to understand concepts.
- Practical exercises throughout the text allow you to build and strengthen your own metaphorical roots.
- Vignettes demonstrate how concepts apply to real-world scenarios.
- Attuning for the Journey Ahead sums up the content at the end of each chapter, ensuring that you understand the key concepts.
- UNIQUE! Special boxes contributed by Dr. Crosbie Watler, MD, FRCPC help you understand and navigate through professionals’ mental health challenges.
About the Author
Part 1: Coming to Know through the Research
1. Root Strength: Sense of Coherence and Congruence
2. Coming to Know How to Thrive
3. Coming to Know about Stress
Part 2: Coming to Know through the Felt Sense
4. Attuning to Your “Roots”
5. Strengthening Congruence With Self-Compassion
6. Attuning to “Signal”: Clearing the “Noise” and Managing the Weather
7. Strengthening Sense of Coherence: Mindful Reorientation
8. Strengthening Our Roots as We Till the Soil of our Childhoods
9. Strengthening Our Self-Soothing Capacities: Calm at the Roots
10. Clearing Past Trauma: The Unresolved Weather of the Past
Part 3: Aligning with Calling in Community
11. Aligning With Calling: Roots Over Fruits
12. Aligning in Community: Connecting Root Systems
Appendix A: Resourcing With Deep Roots
Appendix B: How Practices Promote Sense of Coherence and Congruence Development
Appendix C: Objectives Within the Journey
Shannon Dames, RN, MPH, EdD, Professor, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Hath Professional Investigator for the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research/Lotte and John Hecht Memorial Foundation, Director of Research and Development for Roots to Thrive, Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, British Columbia