Root Strength Elsevier eBook on VitalSource ( Retail Access Card), 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Develop resilience and thrive as a care professional! Root Strength: A Health and Care Professionals’ Guide to Minimizing Stress and Maximizing Thriving discusses principles of self-care that can help you prevent emotional fatigue and job burnout in highly stressful workplaces. An evidence-based approach examines how the care professional can develop self-compassion, mindfulness, relationships with co-workers, and perceived satisfaction with one’s career. Written by noted educator and researcher Shannon Dames, this practical manual shows how you can apply these insights on the job and enhance your personal well-being in real-world health care settings. With the prevalence of mental health issues among care professionals — including rates of PTSD and major depressive disorder (MDD) — appearing much higher than that in the general population, never has a resource like this been more required!
- Focus on both theory and practice allows for self-assessment and the ability to build resilience and thrive, with concepts underpinned by research.
- UNIQUE! Journeys case studies highlight a care professional’s real-world experience/concerns, encouraging you to think about how you would handle the situation as you read through the chapter; the chapter closes with an effective method to handle the real-life situation, demonstrating how to apply the lessons learned.
- UNIQUE! Clear and conversational writing style and metaphorical roots/tree framework makes it easier to understand concepts.
- Practical exercises throughout the text allow you to build and strengthen your own metaphorical roots.
- Vignettes demonstrate how concepts apply to real-world scenarios.
- Attuning for the Journey Ahead sums up the content at the end of each chapter, ensuring that you understand the key concepts.
- UNIQUE! Special boxes contributed by Dr. Crosbie Watler, MD, FRCPC help you understand and navigate through professionals’ mental health challenges.
About the Author
Part 1: Coming to Know through the Research
1. Root Strength: Sense of Coherence and Congruence
2. Coming to Know How to Thrive
3. Coming to Know about Stress
Part 2: Coming to Know through the Felt Sense
4. Attuning to Your “Roots”
5. Strengthening Congruence With Self-Compassion
6. Attuning to “Signal”: Clearing the “Noise” and Managing the Weather
7. Strengthening Sense of Coherence: Mindful Reorientation
8. Strengthening Our Roots as We Till the Soil of our Childhoods
9. Strengthening Our Self-Soothing Capacities: Calm at the Roots
10. Clearing Past Trauma: The Unresolved Weather of the Past
Part 3: Aligning with Calling in Community
11. Aligning With Calling: Roots Over Fruits
12. Aligning in Community: Connecting Root Systems
Appendix A: Resourcing With Deep Roots
Appendix B: How Practices Promote Sense of Coherence and Congruence Development
Appendix C: Objectives Within the Journey
Shannon Dames, BN, MPH, EdD, Professor, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Hath Professional Investigator for the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research/Lotte and John Hecht Memorial Foundation, Director of Research and Development for Roots to Thrive, Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, British Columbia