Mosby's Textbook for Medication Assistants - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to safely administer medications! Mosby's Textbook for Medication Assistants, 2nd Edition covers the principles and techniques of drug administration for common drugs and over-the-counter medications. It addresses topics such as basic pharmacology, the effect of drugs on body systems, delegation and lifespan considerations, ethics and laws, and math skills for accurate dosage calculation. Written by Karen Anderson, this text is a complete guide to the medication assistant’s role, function, and scope of practice.
- Step-by-step procedures are divided into manageable segments, with instructions for each skill.
- Clear, easy-to-read writing style makes it easy to understand what you’ve read.
- Documentation reporting and recording is discussed for each drug.
- Focus on Communication boxes suggest what to say and questions to ask when interacting with patients, residents, family, and nursing staff.
- Focus on Older Person boxes provide age-specific considerations when administering drugs to older patients.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes highlight safe guidelines for administering drugs.
- Delegation Guidelines call out the information the aide should obtain from the nurse and the care plan for delegated tasks.
- Chapter Review Questions at the end of each chapter help you evaluate your comprehension.
- Arithmetic Review in the appendix covers the basic math skills you need for calculating and checking medication dosages.
- Key Terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter to help you understand key terminology.
- NEW! Updated drug content includes current brand names, dosages, effects, and side effects.
- NEW Infection Prevention chapter is added.
- NEW! Full-color drawings and photos are updated to illustrate key concepts and techniques.
- NEW! Updated and simplified coverage of disease helps you understand how and when drugs are used to treat different diseases.
- NEW! NCLEX® review questions are now available on the Evolve companion website.
1. The Medication Assistant
3. Ethics and Laws
4. Assisting with the Nursing Process
5. Body Structure and Function
6. Infection Prevention NEW!
7. Basic Pharmacology
8. Life Span Considerations
9. Drug Orders and Prescriptions
10. Medication Safety
11. Oral, Sublingual, and Buccal Drugs
12. Topical Drugs
13. Eye, Ear, Nose, and Inhaled Drugs
14. Vaginal and Rectal Drugs
15. Drugs Affecting the Nervous System
16. Drugs Used for Mental Health Disorders
17. Drugs Used for Seizure Disorders
18. Drugs Used to Manage Pain
19. Drugs Used to Lower Lipids
20. Drugs Used to Treat Hypertension
21. Drugs Used to Treat Dysrhythmias
22. Drugs Used to Treat Angina, Peripheral Vascular Disease, and Heart Failure
23. Drugs Used for Diuresis
24. Drugs Used to Treat Thrombo-Embolic Disorders
25. Drugs Used to Treat Respiratory Diseases
26. Drugs Used to Treat Gastro-Esophageal Reflux and Peptic Ulcer Disease
27. Drugs Used to Treat Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, and Diarrhea
28. Drugs Used to Treat Diabetes and Thyroid Disease
29. Cortico-Steroids and Gonadal Hormones
30. Drugs Used for Men’s and Women’s Health
31. Drugs Used to Treat Urinary System Disorders
32. Drugs Used to Treat Eye Disorders
33. Drugs Used in the Treatment of Cancer
34. Drugs Affecting Muscles and Joints
35. Drugs Used to Treat Infections
36. Nutrition and Herbal and Dietary Supplement Therapy
Appendix: Review of Arithmetic
Karen Anderson, MSN, RN