Gould's Pathophysiology for the Health Professions Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Help students learn the fundamentals of pathophysiology with this concise, easy-to-understand text! Gould's Pathophysiology for the Health Professions, 7th Edition helps your students master basic concepts of disorders and disease processes. Known for its readability and vivid, full-color illustrations, this text describes disorders by body system and includes case studies applying the material to real-life situations. This edition is updated with the latest research and the newest methods of diagnostic testing and treatment. Written by experienced clinicians and educators Karin C. VanMeter and Robert J. Hubert, this book provides solid preparation for the conditions commonly encountered in clinical practice.
- UNIQUE! Apply Your Knowledge questions ask you to use what you’ve learned to predict What can go wrong with this structure or system?, transitioning you from the body’s normal anatomy and physiology into its pathophysiology.
- UNIQUE! Think About questions relate to the text’s facts, potential applications, or the integration of concepts, alerting you to important points and helping with self-evaluation, test preparation, and review.
- Case studies provide realistic, clinical applications of the book’s concepts.
- Format for discussions of individual disorders follows a "building block" approach, making understanding easier with 1) background, 2) pathophysiology, 3) etiology, 4) signs and symptoms, 5) diagnostic tests, 6) complications, and 7) treatment.
- Concise and readable approach presents the content in a way that doesn’t overwhelm the reader and yet familiarizes you with necessary scientific and medical terminology.
- Hundreds of illustrations clarify and reinforce pathophysiology concepts with photographs, flow charts, and schematic diagrams.
- NEW! The Bigger Picture bulleted summaries identify other body systems that might be affected by a particular disease or disorder covered in a body system chapter.
- NEW coverage of COVID-19 is added, as well as new information on other conditions and diseases.
- NEW diagnostic methods and treatments are covered, describing how these are impacted by digitalization, information technology, and artificial intelligence.
- NEW! Updated statistics on diseases and their related pathophysiology are included.
- NEW photographs and illustrations are added.
Section I: Pathophysiology: Background and Overview 1. Introduction to Pathophysiology 2. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances 3. Introduction to Basic Pharmacology and Other Common Therapies 4. Pain
Section II: Defense/Protective 5. Inflammation and Healing 6. Infection 7. Immunity
Section III: Pathophysiology of Body Systems 8. Skin Disorders 9. Musculoskeletal Disorders 10. Blood and the Circulatory System 11. Lymphatic System Disorders 12. Cardiovascular System Disorders 13. Respiratory System Disorders 14. Neurological Disorders 15. Eyes, Ears and Other Sensory Organs 16. Endocrine Disorders 17. Digestive System Disorders 18. Urinary System Disorders 19. Reproductive System Disorders 20. Neoplasms and Cancer
Section IV: Factors Contributing to Pathophysiology 21. Congenital and Genetic Disorders 22. Complications Due to Pregnancy 23. Complications Due to Adolescence 24. Complications Due to Aging
Section V: Environmental Factors and Pathophysiology 25. Immobility and Associated Problems 26. Stress and Associated Problems 27. Substance Abuse and Associated Problems 28. Environmental Hazards and Associated Problems
Appendixes: Ready References Ready Reference 1: Body Planes, Cavities, Regions, Fluid Compartments, and Body Movements Ready Reference 2: Anatomic Terms Ready Reference 3: Conversion Tables Ready Reference 4: Common Abbreviations and Acronyms Ready Reference 5: Common Diagnostic Studies and Tests Ready Reference 6: Example of a Medical History Ready Reference 7: Disease Index Ready Reference 8: Drug Index Ready Reference 9: Additional Resources
Karin C. VanMeter, PhD, Lecturer, Iowa State University, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, Iowa and Robert J Hubert, BS, Laboratory Coordinator, Iowa State University, Department of Animal Sciences, Ames, Iowa.