Varcarolis' Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care, 7th Edition
This quick clinical reference provides easy-to-use guidelines for psychiatric nursing care! Varcarolis' Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care, 7th Edition provides an interprofessional approach to care based on patient problems and the latest DSM-5 criteria. It helps the reader plan evidence-based, individualized nursing care for a range of settings including the inpatient unit, home care, or community care. Clear, concise coverage focuses on the nursing process, summarizing topics from disorders and psychiatric crises to psychopharmacology. Designed to accompany Varcarolis’ Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, this manual is a perfect clinical reference companion for creating psychiatric nursing care plans.
- DSM-5-based psychiatric diagnoses, criteria, and organization help you with accurate assessment and diagnosis of patients.
- Clinical coverage of major psychiatric disorders simplifies often-complex material to the essentials.
- Prioritized care plans for psychiatric nursing diagnoses include assessment findings/diagnostic cues, nursing diagnosis, etiology, outcome criteria, and interventions with rationales.
- Chapters on psychopharmacology provide essential information on drugs such as antipsychotics and antidepressants.
- Coverage of brain stimulation therapies includes electroconvulsive therapy and vagus nerve stimulation.
- Assessment guides include tables, charts, and questionnaires to help with patient diagnosis and care.
- NEW! International Classification for Nursing Practice (ICNP) nursing diagnoses, from the International Council of Nurses, include straightforward, evidence-based terminology that is easily translatable across settings and disciplines.
- NEW! Updated guidelines promote evidence-based practice for psychiatric nursing care.
- NEW! Current FDA-approved medications and biological treatments include brain stimulation therapies for psychiatric disorders and conditions.
- NEW! Additional information is provided on opioids, the opioid overdose crisis, and implications for psychiatric nursing care.
- NEW! Updated coverage of the role of technology in psychiatric care includes telepsychiatry, social media, and websites.
- NEW appendix outlines up-to-date complementary and alternative approaches to patient care.
Part I Foundations for Psychiatric Nursing Care
- The Nursing Process
- Therapeutic Relationships
- Therapeutic Communication
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders
- Bipolar Disorders
- Depressive Disorders
- Anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders
- Trauma-Related Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Substance Disorders
- Neurocognitive Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Dying, Death, and Grief
- Crisis Intervention
- Anger, Aggression, and Violence
- Family Violence
- Sexual Violence
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Medications
- Antianxiety Medications
- Sleep Promoting Medications
- Substance Use Disorder Medications
- Neurocognitive Medications
- Psychotherapeutic Models
- Brain Stimulation Therapies
Part II Nursing Care
Part III Psychiatric Crises
Part IV Psychopharmacology
Part V Nonpharmacological Approaches
Appendix A- Mental Status Assessment
Appendix B -Assessment Tools
Appendix C-Development Stages
Appendix E-DSM-5 Medical Diagnoses
Margaret Jordan Halter, PhD, PMHCNS-BC, Editor, Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care,Former Clinical Nurse Specialist, Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Akron, Ohio,Former Faculty,Malone College, Canton, Ohio; University of Akron, Akron, Ohio,The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio,Former Associate Dean, Ashland University, Mansfield, Ohio and Christina A. Fratena