Leading and Managing in Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Give your students a solid foundation in nursing leadership and management skills! Using real-world examples, Leading and Managing in Nursing, 8th Edition describes how to provide caring, compassionate, and professional nursing leadership. Topics range from core concepts to knowing oneself, knowing the organization, communication and conflict, managing stress, delegating, staffing and scheduling, and managing costs and budgets. New to this edition are Next Generation NCLEX® exam-style case studies, three new chapters, AACN Essentials Core Competencies for Nursing Education, and updated guidelines to evidence-based practice. Combining theory, research, and practical application, this text prepares your students for a complex, ever-changing healthcare environment.
- UNIQUE! The Challenge opens each chapter with a real-world scenario in which practicing nurse leaders/managers offer personal stories, encouraging you to think about how you would handle the situation.
- UNIQUE! The Solution closes each chapter with an effective method to handle the real-life situation presented in The Challenge, demonstrating the ins and outs of problem solving in practice.
- UPDATED! Reorganized chapters make learning easier, and many are updated with new evidence-based content translating research into practice.
- Exercises help you apply concepts to the workplace and learn clinical reasoning.
- Tips for Leading, Managing, and Following offer practical guidelines to applying the information in each chapter.
- Reflections sections provide the opportunity to consider situations that may be encountered in practice.
- The Evidence sections summarize relevant concepts and research from scientific literature.
- Theory boxes highlight and summarize pertinent theoretical concepts related to chapter content.
- Full-color photos help to convey key concepts of nursing leadership and management.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® case studies are included in select chapters to familiarize you with these new testing items for the NGN exam.
- NEW Justice in Healthcare chapter focuses on the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and cultural considerations for patients and staff.
- NEW Healthy Workplaces: Healthy Workforce chapter includes new content on the prevalence of suicide and promoting the healthy self.
- NEW Artificial Intelligence chapter covers the significant changes to nursing care as a result of the increasing use of AI in the practice setting.
- NEW! AACN Essentials Core Competencies for Nursing Education are included in each chapter, outlining the necessary curriculum content and expected competencies of graduates.
PART 1 Overview
1. Leading, Managing, and Following
2. Quality and Safety
3. Ethical and Legal Issues in Nursing
4. Toward Justice
5. Healthy Workplaces, Healthy Workforce
6. Translating Research Into Practice
PART 2 Know Yourself
7. Gaining Personal Insight: Being an Effective Follower and Leader
8. Communication and Conflict
PART 3 Know the Organization
9. Healthcare Organizations and Structures
10. Person-Centered Care
11. Staffing and Scheduling
12. Workforce Engagement Through Collective Action and Governance
13. Solving Problems and Influencing Positive Outcomes
14. Delegating: Authority, Accountability, and Responsibility in Delegation Decisions
15. Effecting Change, Large and Small
16. Building Effective Teams
PART 4 Use Your Skills
17. The Impact of Technology
18. Artificial Intelligence
19. Managing Costs and Budgets
20. Selecting, Developing, and Evaluating Staff
21. Managing Personal and Personnel Problems
PART 5 Prepare for the Future
22. Role Transition
23. Managing Your Career
24. Developing Leaders, Managers, and Followers
25. Thriving for the Future
Patricia S. Yoder-Wise, RN, EdD, NEA-BC, ANEF, FAAN, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas and Susan Sportsman, RN, PhD, ANEF, FAAN