Diagnosis and Treatment Planning in Dentistry, 4th Edition
Help your students develop skills in patient assessment, oral diagnosis, and treatment planning! A full-color, all-in-one reference, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning in Dentistry, 4th Edition helps students learn to create person-centered dental treatment plans for adolescent and adult patients. Using evidence-based research, this text shows how risk assessment, prognosis, and expected treatment outcomes factor into the planning process. Detailed coverage guides readers through each phase of the treatment plan. New to this edition are chapters covering digital tools used in treatment planning and revised content in all chapters. The book renews a core section that enlightens the reader on how to plan and provide optimal oral health care for unique patient populations. A must-have resource throughout dental school and beyond, this book includes a fully searchable eBook version free with each print purchase.
- Clear, logical organization builds your understanding with sections on comprehensive patient evaluation, the treatment planning process, the five phases of the treatment plan, and care planning for all patients.
- What's the Evidence? boxes cite research articles affecting clinical decision-making and treatment planning strategies.
- In Clinical Practice boxes summarize information on specific clinical situations for quick and easy review.
- Ethics in Dentistry boxes address clinical situations where ethical decision making may be required.
- Review questions summarize and reinforce the important concepts in each chapter.
- 350 full-color illustrations depict important concepts.
- NEW! Updated content in all chapters.
- NEW! An eBook version is included with print purchase. The eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures and references, with the ability to search, customize your content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud. Plus, additional videos and all-new case-based practice quizzes for each chapter.
- NEW! Digital Tools chapter focuses on the use of digital tools in diagnosis and treatment planning.
SECTION 1 Patient Evaluation and Diagnosis
1 Patient Evaluation and Assessment
2 Common Diagnoses in Dentistry
SECTION 2 The Treatment Planning Process
3 Evidence-Based Treatment Planning: Assessment of Risk, Prognosis, and Expected Outcomes
4 Digital Tools for Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
5 Developing the Treatment Plan
6 Interprofessional Treatment Planning
7 Ethical and Legal Considerations When Treatment Planning
SECTION 3 Phases of the Treatment Plan
8 The Systemic Phase of Treatment
9 The Acute Phase of Treatment
10 The Disease Control Phase of Treatment
11 The Definitive Phase of Treatment
12 The Maintenance Phase of Care
SECTION 4 Planning Treatment Populations
13 Patients With Special Needs,
14 Patients Who Are Substance Dependent
15 Patients With Anxiety, Fear, or a Phobia of Dental Care
16 Patients With a Psychological Disorder
17 Adolescent Patients
18 Geriatric Patients
19 Patients Who Are Motivationally or Financially Challenged
Stephen J. Stefanac, DDS, MS, Senior Associate Dean
Associate Dean for Patient Services
Professor, Periodontics and Oral Medicine
University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Ann Arbor, MI and Samuel P. Nesbit, DDS, MS, Clinical Professor
Department of Operative Dentistry
University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
Chapel Hill, NC