Varcarolis’ Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 5th Edition
Gain the essential knowledge and skills you need to succeed as a psychiatric nurse! Varcarolis’ Essentials of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing: A Communication Approach to Evidence Based Care, 5th Edition provides a concise, easy-to-understand guide to today’s leading psychiatric theories and therapeutic modalities. Emphasizing evidence-based care, the book balances coverage of scientifically based treatment approaches with insights into effective communication skills, so you will be prepared to offer the best possible care when you enter practice. Written by nursing expert Chyllia D. Fosbre, this edition adds new Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style case studies to help you develop critical thinking skills and prepare for the NGN exam.
- Applying Critical Judgment questions introduce clinical situations in psychiatric nursing and encourage critical thinking.
- Neurobiology of the Brain feature includes illustrations depicting how a disorder affects brain function and how drugs help to mitigate the symptoms.
- Applying Evidence-Based Practice boxes in the clinical chapters pose a question, walk you through the process of gathering evidence-based data from a variety of sources, and present a plan of care based on the evidence.
- Vignettes describe real-world psychiatric patients and their disorders.
- Assessment Guidelines boxes summarize the steps of patient assessment for various disorders.
- Applying the Art boxes offer clinical scenarios demonstrating the interaction between a nurse and a patient, the nurse’s perception of the interaction, and the mental health nursing concepts in play.
- Potential Nursing Diagnoses tables list possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder, based on ICNP terminology, along with the associated signs and symptoms.
- Nursing Interventions tables list interventions for a given disorder or clinical situation, along with rationales for each intervention.
- DSM-5 Criteria boxes identify the diagnostic criteria for most major disorders.
- Integrative Care boxes highlight the different types of therapy may be used to enhance treatment.
- Giddens Concept boxes at the beginning of each chapter tie concepts to the topics to be discussed.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style case studies are included in the clinical disorders chapters to promote critical thinking and help to prepare you for the NGN exam.
UNIT I Essential Theoretical Concepts for Practice
1 Science and the Therapeutic Use of Self in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
2 Mental Health and Mental Illness
3 Theories and Therapies
4 Biological Basis for Understanding Psychopharmacology
5 Settings for Psychiatric Care
6 Legal and Ethical Basis for Practice
UNIT II Tools for Practice of the Art
7 The Nursing Process in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
8 Communication Skills: Medium for All Nursing Practice
9 Therapeutic Relationships and the Clinical Interview
UNIT III Caring for Patients With Psychobiological Disorders
10 Trauma and Stress-Related Disorders and Dissociative Disorders
11 Anxiety, Anxiety Disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
12 Somatic Symptom Disorders
13 Personality Disorders
14 Eating Disorders
15 Mood Disorders: Depression
16 Bipolar Spectrum Disorders
17 Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders and Other Psychotic Disorders
18 Neurocognitive Disorders
19 Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
UNIT IV Caring for Patients Experiencing Psychiatric Emergencies
20 Crisis and Mass Disaster
21 Child, Partner, and Elder Violence
22 Sexual Violence
23 Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
24 Anger, Aggression, and Violence
25 Care for the Dying and Those Who Grieve
UNIT V Age-Related Mental Health Disorders
26 Children and Adolescents
Appendix A: Complementary and Alternative Treatments
Appendix B: Chapter Review Answer Key
Chyllia D Fosbre, MSN, RN, PMHNP-BC, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, WellTree Mind and Body (Private Practice), Open Hearts Family Wellness