Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 9th Edition
Build the nursing knowledge and skills you need to care for patients of all ages! Combining two leading LPN/LVN textbooks into one volume, Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 9th Edition covers the fundamental skills and medical-surgical content essential to providing quality care for patients across the lifespan, including pediatric, maternity, adult, and older adult patients. Case studies provide practice with critical thinking and clinical judgment, and new Next Generation NCLEX®-format questions help you apply theory to practice. Written by nursing educators Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text also helps you prepare for success on the NCLEX-PN® examination.
- Step-by-step instructions for more than 100 skills show clearly defined nursing actions along with the rationales for each.
- Clear, easy-to-understand coverage of skills across the lifespan includes maternity, pediatrics, adults, and older adults.
- The nursing process is applied to the discussion of disorders, and is summarized at the end of each chapter.
- Nursing care plans use a case-study format to emphasize patient goals and outcomes, and include critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Overview of Anatomy and Physiology begins each body systems chapter, and the Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter provides a clear, basic understanding of the A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- Complete mathematics review covers basic arithmetic skills and dosage calculation, followed by a discussion of medication administration including IV therapy.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes provide synopses of research articles that apply to nursing, along with nursing implications for the LPN/LVN.
- Safety Alert! boxes cover issues related to safe patient care in a variety of settings.
- Coordinated Care boxes promote comprehensive patient care with other members of the health care team, focusing on prioritization, assignment, supervision, collaboration, delegation, and leadership topics.
- Lifespan Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the patient.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide information on the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Communication boxes illustrate communication strategies through real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Patient Teaching boxes focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members, and include topics such as hospital discharge instructions.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Medication tables provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination sections provide key points, review questions, and critical thinking activities to reinforce learning.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® case studies and new format questions help you prepare for success on the NCLEX-PN® examination.
- NEW! Discussion of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model helps you develop the skills needed to plan effective nursing interventions.
- NEW! Updated Asepsis and Infection Control chapter prepares you for today’s healthcare environment.
- NEW! Updated Immune Disorder and HIV/AIDS chapters highlight the newest medical and drug therapies.
- NEW! Updated photos and illustrations show nursing techniques, procedures, and patient care.
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing
1. The Evolution of Nursing
2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing
5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking
6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice
7. Asepsis and Infection Control
8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility
9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment
11. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions
12. Vital Signs
13. Physical Assessment
15. Elimination and Gastric Intubation
16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health
17. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration
18. Fluids and Electrolytes
19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies
20. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
21. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
22. Surgical Wound Care
23. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Life Span
24. Lifespan Development
25. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death
26. Health Promotion and Pregnancy
27. Labor and Delivery
28. Care of the Mother and Newborn
29. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs
30. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent
31. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care
32. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder
33. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing
34. Concepts of Mental Health
35. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing
36. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality
37. Home Health Nursing
38. Long-Term Care
39. Rehabilitation Nursing
40. Hospice Care
Unit VII: Adult Health Nursing
41. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
42. Care of the Surgical Patient
43. Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder
44. Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder
45. Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder
46. Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder
47. Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder
48. Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder
49. Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder
50. Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder
51. Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder
52. Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder
53. Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder
54. Care of the Patient with a Neurological Disorder
55. Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder
56. Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS
57. Care of the Patient with Cancer
Unit VIII: From Graduate to Professional
58. Professional Roles and Leadership
Appendix A Abbreviations
Appendix B Laboratory Reference Values
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, Indiana and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing, Ivy Tech Community College, Terre Haute, Indiana