Medical Terminology: A Short Course - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Help students build a working medical vocabulary quickly with Medical Terminology: A Short Course, 9th Edition! Omitting time-consuming, nonessential information, this text introduces medical language with an approach based on the most frequently encountered suffixes, prefixes, and word roots. A text/workbook format has students practicing and interacting with medical terminology on almost every page through exercises, labeling, and pronunciations. Case studies and real-world vignettes demonstrate how medical terms are used in practice. Based on Davi-Ellen Chabner's proven learning method, this book provides just the right amount of information for short Med Term courses.
- Easy-to-read and understandable language allows you to quickly grasp and retain medical terminology even if you’ve had little or no background in biology or medicine.
- Text/workbook approach reinforces learning every step of the way with exercises, diagram labeling, review sheets, and pronunciation practice throughout the book.
- Full-color illustrations and photographs show parts of the body, diseases, conditions, and medical procedures.
- Picture Show activities, medical case reports, and vignettes demonstrate real-life applications of medical terms.
- First Person narratives help you to understand diseases and conditions from the patient’s perspective.
- Principal Diagnosis feature shows how medical terms are used in clinical practice by asking you to read physician notes about a case and determine the patient’s principal diagnosis.
- Medical Terminology Check Up at the end of each chapter reinforces your understanding of key concepts and easily confused terms.
- Evolve website includes resources optimized for tablet use, and mobile-optimized versions of the flash cards and quick quizzes make it easier for on-the-go study and review.
- Body Systems Challenge self-test assesses and reinforces your understanding at your own pace.
- NEW! Additional case studies provide examples of medical terminology in the context of patient care and procedures.
- NEW! Immunity and COVID-19 Vaccines appendix features topics of current interest, including infectious disease, cancer treatments, medical technologies, and pharmacology.
Chapter 1. Basic Word Structure Chapter 2. Organization of the Body Chapter 3. Suffixes Chapter 4. Prefixes Chapter 5. Medical Specialists and Case Reports
Appendix 1: Body Systems Appendix 2: Diagnostic Tests and Procedures Appendix 3: Abbreviations, Acronyms, Symbols, and Eponyms Appendix 4: Hot Topics NEW!
Glossary 1: Mini-Dictionary Glossary 2: Glossary of Word Parts Glossary 3: Glossary of English-Spanish Terms
Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT